Manual Transmission to Automatic

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Youngtrucker19, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Youngtrucker19

Youngtrucker19 Light Load Member

Feb 13, 2013
    X1Heavy, I'm not the one who is doing it. My company I work for did. They put the automated manuals in the trucks that use to be manuals. What I was looking for a cost since they are a million dollar company. I again with fargonaz, they probably got them cheap and put the automated trans. in, but they for got all the important stuff like making sure everything works good together. Don't know how many times I've had to sit and wait for them to go into gear. I've drove automated and automatics both before and they are nice and smooths. These things suck. If they spent 30k on doing it, was a waste. Now, if it was 5k to 6k I say it's not so bad but still.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It would be very expensive. You would have to buy the automatic trans, probably a reman. You would not update your existing manual, you would have to swap transmissions. That would be the majority of your cost, but yes, there would be considerable addition labor to install the wiring to the trans, and then wiring and mounting the shifter. As far a poor shifting performance, or other quirks in the system, that is all in programming and should be totally eliminated with proper parameter settings. Due to the initial cost of the transmission, I would guess this conversion would be more than $20k. It certainly would not be only a few thousand dollars.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Detroit transmission and the Volvo I-shift work with the engine as one piece. They can downshift the transmission for maximum engine braking. They can turn on the engine brake between gears, so the transmission does not miss a gear.

I don't think Eaton autoshifts can do that because the are separate and only have the Eaton computer to control the transmission. Detroit transmission has GPS data on hill locations and it knows the engine RPMs so it can let engine RPMs drop to like 1,000 before shifting.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.