'Mark of the Beast' drives away Amish

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Cybergal, Aug 19, 2007.

1. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    Depends on the region. Some areas are stricter than others. I have seen Amish on computers in their homes selling on Ebay. It happens!! I swear!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yea but the only marry in the family rule still stands
    I read some where the gene pool is all messed up because of relative marriage

4. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    I've read the same things. I heard the apostolics have a problem for the same type of reasons. Strict rules on relationships and marriage.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I hadn't heard of Apostolic, I was thinking you meant Pentecostals, it turns out there is a movement or sect called The Church of the Brethren (Apostolic), and the Pentecostal Church is similar or part of the same, depending on who is doing the telling.

Sam Kinison was a Pentecostal minister prior to becoming an actor-comedian.:biggrin_25523:.

6. originaleve01

originaleve01 Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2007
    East Texas
    I grew up in Northeastern Ohio, many Amish communities. The Amish don't have electricity, computers, etc., as someone stated before, they use agents that work on their behalf. Amish can marry outside of the community. The prospective spouse just converts and agrees to like within the rules of the community. Needless to say it doesn't happen very often. (I know of one guy who worked at a cabinetry co. with my brother that married an Amish girl--whenever he wanted to watch TV, he went to his parents.)

The Menonites look like the Amish, they also live in close-Knit communities, however they do have electricity, have in-door plumbing and most likely have computers.

7. Ducks

Ducks "Token Four-Wheeler"

Jan 1, 2007
    Southeastern Pennsylvania
    I, too, grew up and still live within a stone's throw of a large Amish community. Just as we have Lutherans, Presbyterians, Baptists and so on, the Amish have their sects, too, with somewhat different doctines.

I don't profess to know a lot about the various sects, but I believe the New Order permits both telephones and electricity... and also use gas-powered farm equipment.

8. firstcav

firstcav Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2006
    ""
    I was raised Penetecostal, lol. I didn't realize the apoltolics was a sect of the Pentecostal church. That might explain some things.

The information I read was a report done here in Indiana. Wells County Indiana is a big apostolic and amish community, and it also has the highest level of childern with down sydrome in the state. The report suggested that the rules regarding marriage and relationships from both these religions might play factor in this problem. I don't really no much about either church to have an opinon about it.

9. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Well, that explains a lot, 1stcav. Not being derrogatory, but the attitude that you have toward religion, in general. I've visited the old Pentecostal churches with all their 'Holiness' rules and regulations (no makeup on women, dont cut their hair, rituals, etc); and the 'Neo-Pentecostal' (dont beat me for using that 'prefix!' It's their idea---not mine ha ha) churches and the various Charasmatic 'non-denominational' churches out their. BUT, I dont 'throw the baby out with the bath water.' Yes, I've 'been around the horn,' and can see why all that would turn somebody off. :biggrin_25521:

10. BumpInTheRoad

BumpInTheRoad <strong>Zippy</strong>

Feb 8, 2007
    On Life's Highways
    They can take their marks and shove them up their ###!
    I ain't taking it.:biggrin_25513:

11. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

You get into some pretty serious genetic discussions whenever genetic diseases like Downs syndrome are mentioned. You have that in small, close knit religious communities of all persuasions.

Speaking of the Amish, I used to pick up tractor hoods in Ashley, IN, the loads were light so we were told not to run up and take the toll road back to Gary, IN, I liked running US 20, but not in the evening,because of the buggies and bicycles running along that road. Lately, well, not in the past several months but before mid February, I picked up chickens from Amish growers in northeast IN mostly east of Goshen. Lots of fun loading chickens in the dark in small yards with no lights, I really hated meeting buggies on those county trails they have in that area, too. The Amish that bother with outsiders are likeable, but their preoccupation with the past doesn't extend to footwear at least for the ladies, they wear the most colorful athletic shoes they can find. We have Amish in southern MN and northeast Iowa, there are about 15 families east of Waukon, IA where I now live. They like lighter ground to work if they are farmers, many of them are involved with carpentry, furniture making, and other craft work. Mennonites farm mostly modern but don't allow certain mainstream practices, like artificial insemination or genetic manipulation.

I have been around a few from The Brethern, they do drive cars and work alongside others, but their worship services are closed to all but members.
    Sociologists would describe all of these small churches as sects or cults.

I'm pretty accepting of the beliefs of others as long as they don't try to tell me how to live

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.