Marten Driver (currently)

Discussion in 'Marten' started by Skogie, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Saienga

Saienga Medium Load Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I would venture a guess that he's also going into pickups with freshly fueled tanks. If I pull into some of our customers with tip-top tanks, I'm over gross too.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    I always go in with full tanks. It's rare when i get a msg, saying go in low on fuel.
    I'm finding alot of shippers are lying on the bol when it comes to actual weight. They say one thing on the the paperwork, yet the scale tickets says another.

4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    I got a cascadia and I usually go into a p/u with no more then 3/4 fuel.

5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Answer: Or what.

6. Saienga

Jul 28, 2009
    I've been puzzling on this, too, and while I think some are actually lying, I'm thinking most are just fudging with their semantics.
    Allowing the usual funny business between gross and net weights, I've seen weights billed in all of the following ways:
    Product, Packaging and pallets
    Products and pallets, but no packaging
    Product and packaging, but no pallets
    Product, no pallets, no packaging.

The last version is irritating. The load dispatch will say "38,000" or some such, and you get it loaded up and it winds up being nigh on 44k. Then you look at the bills and (sometimes) they've got the pallets and packaging itemized in terms of weight, so it's technically on the bills, but it's not what they've communicated to the carrier.

7. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    yea, it can be a guess of what the real weight is sometimes.

8. mathematrucker

mathematrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Laughlin, NV
    Weight problems used to really get my goat. What always bugged me the most was shippers who paid little or no attention to weight distribution. It doesn't help that Marten's customer service probably tells shippers they can load more weight than they really can, sort of like airlines overbooking flights.

Years ago I chatted with Marten's current Dir. of Ops. about this subject. He held a different position then, more having to do with customer service. Believe it or not he actually tried to convince me that trailers often end up being loaded illegally through no fault of the shipper, but rather, simply due to the weight variation (margin of error) of the individual cases, adding up to a huge margin of error in the weight of the load. Said it with a straight face too!

I'm surprised he didn't bring an oxygen tank to work...you never know what corner of the room all those oxygen molecules might bunch up in! :biggrin_25514:

9. PurpleKW

PurpleKW Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Chula Vista, CA
    "Marten Driver (Currently)"---BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Been there, done that...:biggrin_25523:

10. Poobah

Poobah Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Arizona
    >11. Milage Bonus - $500 if you average 10,000 mi. every quarter

If a company driver drives at least 10,000 paid miles during the calendar quarter, that driver gets $500 (there is no averaging involved).

This bonus does apply to all four quarters, so it adds $2,000 to your annual pay if you run normally without taking a bunch of time off within any single quarter.

This may sound like an a dumb question, but in some earlier posts to this thread it was stated that Marten paid a bonus for driving "10,000 paid miles during the calender quarter," which is only averaging approx 3,333 miles per month!

Is that in fact accurate, or did the original posters mean to imply 10k average miles per month for any given quarter?

11. Saienga

Jul 28, 2009
    It's 30,000 miles per quarter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.