Marten Transport Sleep Apnea scam

Discussion in 'Marten' started by Trudger, May 25, 2013.

1. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    I believe its one of the cartoon avatars on this site. I tried uploading a personal avatar from my phone but it kept coming in sideways..lol

crb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SAMMY6969

SAMMY6969 Medium Load Member

Nov 12, 2011
    HAVE TO SAY IM REALLY SORRY TO HERE THAT CRAP MARTEN PULLED ON YOU...I WAS PLANNING ON GOING THERE TO...HV TO DO SOME MORE investigating ON THIS...THANKS

4. whydontchahey

whydontchahey Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2007
    Ohio
    If ur neck is bigger than 17 inches... U are red flagged for the test. Sleep study is $1500++. Then another $700 for the machine. Total discrimination. Take a look araound the truck stop. If these companies don't pay for these tests. This could cripple the industry.

5. Trudger

Trudger Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    UPDATE: Ok, I'm back home now after a 3 day Greyhound trip from hell, lol. Trying to keep a good attitude about it and all, but hey. So, I spoke with Dan Peterson, the director of safety at Marten Transport. Talking with him is like talking to a brick wall of self righteous attitude. He doesn't believe that Marten is doing anything wrong, and that they have the right to do whatever they want, if we as drivers don't like it, we have the choice to resign.

First, let me give the correct information about the program. Marten pays for everything in the sleep study and treatment program. With that being said, that is a great thing for those drivers who are already on a program or feel it would be good to have on a VOLUNTARY basis. Remember, there are NO regulations in place for the forced sleep apnea program, Marten is just trying to be the leader in complying with PROPOSED regulations, which it is doubted that FMCSA will approve. Marten says that drivers will have the OPORTUNITY to take a sleep study and receive treatment under their program, which is a FORCED one, without any legal backing to stand on.

It may seem as if I am doing nothing but complaining, but as I've stated before, as drivers we don't check our rights at the door when we go to work for a company, even though they agree to disagree as Dan Peterson put it. I've spoken with Marten drivers who are in the forced program, and they are having medical issues with their health and SLEEP because of the forced use. They are driving sleep deprived, and are a danger to themselves and the motoring public. Again, as there are NO regulations for this discriminatory act, this needs to VOLUNTARY.

Before this issue, I was quite pleased and happy to be working for Marten. I had planned on retiring from their company, but then this happened. I am devastated about it, my family is in jeopardy of being evicted and my marriage is on the line. Just because a company has a policy, doesn't mean it's legal. Oh, they also admitted to me that they have never ran this policy past an attorney to see if they can legally do it. How on Earth can a company mandate this test, force a medical treatment that has to be prescribed a medical doctor, and tell you WHAT form of treatment you will take? ...all to stay employed with them??? BTW- NOT ONCE, did Marten provide me a medical doctor to "prescribe" this treatment, not once. I got a sales rep from the sleep apnea they contract with telling me I needed a machine under Marten's Policy. BS

I keep a FB group open to keep drivers updated about the status of my progress on this issue, which I won't drop. FB group is Bluebird Nation if anyone is interested, not to be confused with the other group on there, Bluebird Family Lounge. FYI.

6. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
  7. Trudger

Jun 26, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
    OK...more updates. I just went to a REAL doctor yesterday and not only got my new 2 year medical card (NOT owned by Marten), I was examined, measured, tested and informed that my neck size was NOT 18, as Marten's paid off physician assistant said, but is actually 16 1/2, and my BMI is within NORMAL range for my 6'4" height, with weight at 266 and dropping. Had a real medical doctor (that wasn't paid off to get all these forced sleep studies for Marten) examined me, I would NEVER have been tapped for their forced program.

It's difficult, as I really enjoyed working for Marten, until my rights were violated and I was FORCED into their sleep study and treatment program. The fools at Marten, whom I identify as Lori Ott, Dan Peterson and Melissa Rubin, are the young think-they-know-it-all smart arses that are bringing liability and public relations problems to the company. IF Randy Marten was intelligent he would fire them immediately.

Now, I did contact OOIDA about this issue and Landline Magazine got back to me stating this story has been moved up and forwarded to the appropriate people who are investigating and reporting on this issue. They have my contact info and I have agreed to go "on the record" with them about this major violation of driver rights and public safety issue. Will keep all updated.

driverdriver and clausland Thank this.
  8. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    I admit this new info has really peaked my interest. Will be interested to see how it turns out

9. Trudger

Jun 26, 2011
    Beaverton, Oregon
  10. BigBluePeter

BigBluePeter Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2009
    So sue them for discrimination.

11. skibum_63

skibum_63 Road Train Member

Oct 12, 2007
    somewhere, USA
    IF Randy Marten was intelligent he would fire them immediately

God help us if he ever becomes intelligent.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.