marten transport

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by wbyers2, Jan 12, 2010.

1. TrailerTruckin

TrailerTruckin Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Somewhere in lower 48
    I begged and begged for miles was NEVER late and still couldn't get the miles you can't run any miles when they give you two days to go 500 miles or 3 to go 700 plain and simple

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    Here's my take on it. I worked for Marten for 1 week and was terminated for bumping a shipping container in a tight area. I took responsibility for not using GOAL, blamed no-one else but me.I stated on a different thread that I still liked the company but thought it too harsh. A certain poster here who is fond of red font flamed me on how I 'sucked" as a driver. Nice. Way to kick someone when they are down.

Fast forward to now. I have been turned down by two mega-carriers this week because I was term'ed. The OP is a driver with 20+ years of experience, now out of work with a ruined DAC due to a mechanical event beyond his control.

I think this whole industry is rotten to the core because of the mega carriers/ trucking lobby. The driver is nothing more than expendable cheap meat in the seat. There is no advocate for driver's rights, because we have no rights. We catch it from all sides, inhumane idling laws, callous shippers with no bathrooms or amenities,hours of unpaid time, crazy four wheelers, co's that will throw you under the bus, fleece scams, draconian legislation to punish us (CSA2010), but no labor laws to protect us.

My Marten friend out here in So Cal has been doing 2200-2400 miles out of Ontario, so he has been doing ok. But if Marten is so great, how come they have full orientations every week? The good co's never advertise or have that many jobs, because no-one ever leaves.

KC, I wish you all the luck in the world, but watch your back!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Farrell 67 and slabrunner Thank this.
  4. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    I'm looking to get back on the road and boy its rough you dont seem to see any company worth working for! I was aksed to call marten someone says there a good co. and then you hear this stuff. if all of the companies are evil and bad where do you go or is it some people think if they scare enough drivers off the freight will get better? I worked for Swift before and had to leave due to illness never had a bad experience I even screwed up and was just talked to by safety and that was the end no big deal " and it was my fault" DM was great he was driver before and proved it on several occasions when I was in unknown territory he would take the time to give me pointers. so back to my question if the big co's are crooks and the little co's don't advertise where do we find a job thats good for us? I'm seriuos and not trying to be a butthead I'm really looking for help or suggestions.

5. Farrell 67

Farrell 67 Light Load Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Wilkes Barre Pa.
    Listen,as I've said before,Marten sucks.Period.

If you like waving goodbye to your load at a rail yard as it rolls thousands of miles towards the coasts and you run dirtbag 200-500 mile trips then you'll love it at Marten.If you like being forced into a per diem pay plan that screws you out of money and puts you into a lower income bracket than again,you'll love Marten.

If you like sitting a day or two between your next 500 mile trip than Marten is for you.If you like snotty dispatchers that treat you like your half a derelict,than again,welcome to Marten.

I drove for them for almost a year and half.They were good for a while, then little by little,the b.s started.Sitting a day here, 2 days there,three days to get a p.o out of the next to useless dispatcher,days to get in and out of a shop,and most of all ,lame miles and crappy customers who think nothing of keeping you waiting all day.

My experience is hardly unique.Whenever I'd run into another Marten driver they would echo the same sentiment.I got sickl of wasting my time there,cause that's all it was,a waste of time.I lost several thousand dollars running with them compared to other carriers and other years..

I really don't give too much mind to what a supertrucker ,company bootlicker has to say.I know what I know,and even a casual glance at the board here back up my statements.

If your thinking of going to Marten,DONT. They have plummetted to the lowly depths of bottom feeder status.If they were such a good company, they wouldn't have 100 people a week at orientations at 3 different locations.

6. TrailerTruckin

TrailerTruckin Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Somewhere in lower 48
    DING DING DING...We have a winner folks, my sentiments exactly. As i previously stated i lasted a grand total of 35 or 36 days. I ran more miles at my new job in the first 3 weeks as i did the entire time i was at Marten.

greaterbaatezu and mushroom1464 Thank this.
  7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    KC, Good look with the new job. I suggest you also read the reports on this company over on the 'Good' trucking company board to get an overall perspective. No I don't drive for them, but every company has its fans and haters. Some of the guys reporting on here could fall in a swimming pool full of womens breasts and come out sucking their thumb. My 2 cents.

luvmytruckcake, Kabar and jtrnr1951 Thank this.
  8. telcobilly

telcobilly Medium Load Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Laying Low
    kc didn't get hired. He got bounced out after the road test. I think they did him a favor, at least he doesn't have a ding on his DAC and a termination to overcome. It cost me at least 2 jobs this week alone (not that I care about working for CRST or JBHunt).
    Okieron, I understand your frustration and share it. I also agree about Swift, I worked for them for close to a year. They are a lot more forgiving on new drivers mistakes. If I had gotten better miles and more pay, I would have stayed with them. BTW, I have family ties in your area in McAlester.

9. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    As was said earlier go look at the good company thread. Also check Marten on the company DAC. I think you will find that not everyone has it bad at Marten . There are those of us who follow Martens rules and do quite well here. 800+ mile trips, no sitting and good money.

10. hotpeper

hotpeper Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2010
    festus mo.
    u know i here all the good things about marten all they did for me and my husban who drove for them is caused us to lose everything we owened .they let him go. telling lies on him and now its been a strugle to even get a job. thanks to marten lies. they are the heartless company i ever new, my husban has 20years driveing a truck and thanks to marten,s lies he is haveing a hard time getting a job now.so dont give me no bull how good marten is they are not . they hurt people . they dont care about the drivers, so as long as the loads get to one place and the other. and the drivers set a lot. before next load.

11. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Another driver who couldn't handle Marten. Do it there way or go away. They don't care how you have done it in the past. There is there way and the wrong way and drivers who can't get with the program will be turned lose. I am sure that none of it was he's fault. He did every thing right and there way. Never gave them a hard time or sit when he could have been driving. Always went in to shippers early and tried to del asap. Perfect driver and the company just screwed him over.:biggrin_25517:Plleeeaasseee, Give me a break.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.