Massive problems with JJ Keller ELD since Dec 14 firmware update

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Studebaker Hawk, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    If recording mileage was our only problem we could deal with it. The Keller system at the moment routinely wipes out whole days worth of log data, puts drivers into duty status unilaterally, shuts down with big error screens, in short totally useless. Their tech services are totally overwhelmed and it gets worse with every patch and update.
    Thanks for your info on EROAD.

Moving Forward and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I'm experienced enough to not be intimidated by the gizmos, but there is an underlying problem with this whole mess, too much was assumed by those who wanted it, and too many attempted to cash in on it.

Having to write everything down, basically still doing paper logs, too, kind of defeats the purpose of the elimination of onerous paperwork requirements, in other words, we were sold a bunch of crap, paying too much for poor results.

Let the buyers beware doesn't begin to address it.

EROAD logs to the minute, and shows it on the graph.

The countdown has malfunctioned for me, that made me think, and be aware that the problems are real. I haven't talked

4. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Glitching has become normal.

The scope of the mandate itself may be part of the problem, and I'm not sure anyone has come up with a system that is flawless in the real world, even the old qcomm and PeopleNet had malfunctions. I couldn't post and when it did, I couldn't edit. Hope this one makes it through.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    52, you are onto something. The original congressional legislation wanted totally automatic recording device with little or no driver input. That was promised by the FMCSA but has morphed into something that is far away from the original pipe dream.
    Let's take an editing function available. You can go back anytime in the 7 days and change on duty time to off duty. Yes there will be a record of it in the home office, but not at roadside. Yes with the algorithm s the FMCSA will use they might spot a pattern. I think they will be drowning in the avalanche of data they themselves required.
    At roadside there are typically 70-100 events listed, every time I started and stopped the truck, and many others not germaine to whether I am in violation or even safe. And the enforcement personnel are going to wade through this on 200 different formats in 2 versions iOS and Android?

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Man, I feel your JJ Keller issues pain. After reading through some of these posts, including the Rand McNally one, I'm so glad I went with BigRoad DashLink.

Other than one intial sensor odometer reading failure notice, that lasted a couple of miles, this system has worked flawlessly.

7. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I'm still logging on paper, too, and will have to note the address on fuel slips, as the device seldom agrees with what's on the slips. What a nightmare.

I'm 2 and 3 quarters hours from the yard, taking a 10, traffic on westbound 94 in Indiana was being held up by a multi lane and very heavy oversize, they only let him cross bridges after stopping all other traffic, so I waited another half hour for them to get out of the way, a reroute would have added too much time.

I was half an hour short on the time needed to complete the run, and I have services here, and I guess I'll get the salt washed off before heading home, too.

8. SlowPoke44magnum

SlowPoke44magnum Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Walbridge,Ohio
    Yesterday our keller system starting requiring us to physically input our location at every duty change, it's never done that before. The boss said he's looking into it, I'll be calling keller tech today myself if the problem continues. We have a unit mounted in the truck and the log is linked to our phones, I hate it, I prefer to have the whole unit in truck because our equipment inspection app on our phones requires us to have our phones outside the truck which causes the keller log app to lose connection with the unit in the truck. I never had any issues with the people net or QUALCOMM e-logs where the whole unit was in the truck.

9. Moving Forward

Moving Forward Heavy Load Member

Jan 14, 2014
    New England, USA
    My device had the same location issue yesterday as well, and I also wasn't able to submit my logs at logout as usual... but then found out JJ Keller had issued a notice titled "Temporary Issue with J. J. Keller Mobile® App and Encompass®" so we'll see how long these problems last for. As you mentioned, I too found Qualcomm to be a lot more reliable when I was on that system with a different company. Oh well, thank God our paper logs will cover us for now.

10. SlowPoke44magnum

SlowPoke44magnum Medium Load Member

May 3, 2009
    Walbridge,Ohio
    We got an e-mail from keller today stating they were aware of the issue & did resolve it. I didn't have any location issues today & was able to log out properly this evening so we'll see.

11. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Keep in mind that was an AOBR, not an ELD. Different programming. Different parameters. It'll be interesting to see what issues arise with these "big players" when they make the switch to conform to the ELD requirements.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.