maverick and hometime

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by cody.hicks.19d, Feb 19, 2014.

1. cody.hicks.19d

cody.hicks.19d Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Been driving in the oilfield and am looking to make a switch to otr flatbed. The recruiter said I would get home for my 34 hr restart most weekends. And said I would be home for a little more than 34 hours. Just wondering what the average hours home is for maverick drivers. You know how recruiters bend the truth. Lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    A lot depends on where you live. Most every one says they are home 45+ weekend a year.

4. Bluebyrd

Bluebyrd Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2013
    New Mexico
    Where would be a good place to live in order to get that amount of weekends off?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  5. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    depends on what you want to haul. We haul alot of steel so in the steel belt would be a good place. Unfortunately we don't hire very much west of I-35 because Maverick doesn't have consistent enough freight to got you home weekly.

6. cody.hicks.19d

cody.hicks.19d Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2012
    I live in Oklahoma, by Tulsa. When you are home for the weekends how much time are you home? 34hrs and out the door or is it usually a little bit longer

7. kylefitzy

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    Tulsa is a good area for flatbed. I'm a dedicated glass hauler so I'm not sure but I know we haul steel into and out of port of Catoosa and we have a yard and big customer in fort smith that produces round bar. Also there is fletcher ok for drywall.

How long your home depends on the load and when it delivers. Sometimes you will be home for a reset and sometimes not. I have been home for 48 hours before and not gotten a reset because of the new rules.

One thing with Otr trucking is there are no set schedules and every week is different. You must be flexible and go with the flow.

8. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Your home for your 34 and that's usually it.

9. exhawkeye

exhawkeye Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Forney,TX
    Only time I am in Tulsa is for a Hilti load. Or they deadhead me to Broken Bow

10. toymaker

toymaker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Missouri
    Pretty typical to be home Friday night and leave out Sunday afternoon/evening, for example. Sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. You get your part of the job done quicker, you'll get home sooner. Tarping and securing and such.
    Usually you'll get your reset, but not always. Sometimes it's a one-nighter. Being hung out completely on the weekends is something they really try to avoid, but it does happen. They try to make it up to you though. On average, it's a handful of times a year. I heard one guy claim it's only happened to him 2-3 times over... I think he said 4-5 years? Probably not typical.
    Tulsa is near Fort Smith which is a very good thing. It's easy to get something out of there if nothing else. Maverick's yard there serves as a storage facility for the big steel plant across the street. There's also a good bit of lumber southeast of you there.

11. toymaker

toymaker Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Missouri
    If you're in their hiring area, you'll get decent home time. Maverick seriously isn't making it up as a selling point. They have different divisions that cater to different areas.
    Long haul, temp control, and glass don't guarantee that kind of home time. Most regular flatbedders are in some kind of division that would technically be considered regional I suppose.
    As long as you live east of 35 and west of Appalachia, south of Chicago (eh, generally) and not on the coastal fringes, you should be fine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.