Maverick Glass Loads

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by d_bassguy79, Jul 7, 2015.

1. d_bassguy79

d_bassguy79 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Got a question for Maverick Glass Division Drivers..... What would you say the percentage is of the glass loads you haul vs. regular flatbed loads. Any info given would be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kmoore2min

kmoore2min Bobtail Member

Jan 23, 2015
    That actually depends on where you live. I live in southeast PA so I'm pretty close to a glass plant in carlisle, which means I will deliver or pick up from there most of the time to leave home or head toward home. I was probably hauling glass about 95% of the time. If you live right next to a steel plant that we haul from/to it'll be a different story, but I doubt you'd go under 70% glass. You get paid glass miles no matter what you haul though (which is good because glass pays more per mile).

dragginmaster and d_bassguy79 Thank this.
  4. d_bassguy79

d_bassguy79 Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2014
    Thx for the reply. I live about an hour from the glass plant in laurinburg, nc

5. kmoore2min

Jan 23, 2015
    Then you'll probably pull mostly glass. ♤

d_bassguy79 Thanks this.
  6. USIT420

USIT420 Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Haha, not necessarily. Yeah, you'll probably haul mostly glass, when you're coming off of hometime. Once you've left the plant it's all up in the air since you don't know where you'll be until your next hometime. I'm not far from Laurinburg and my percentage of flatbed loads is about 10 percent. The dirty little secret on glass haulers getting flatbed is that when we do get them we don't even get the good ones, we get the short-haul flatbed, they definitely average less than 600 miles. And you just be prepared every February and March when you'll get alot of flatbed and only making 1400 miles a week, and tarping single steel coils with rotten lumber tarps because Maverick doesn't allow glass drivers to carry steel tarps. Carrying those darn lumber tarps is probably the dumbest single thing I've ever seen at Maverick. And the super singles, dumbest idea number 2

dragginmaster Thanks this.
  7. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    For me the dumbest is telling glass students while in training in Little Rock that glass drivers have it easy and get tarp pay for all their loads and hardly ever have to touch a tarp..

Then when these drivers finish with their 3-4 weeks driving around with a FLATBED trainer, who do get tarp pay for their mostly easy tarped loads, and then these new drivers spend 2-3 hours securing glass loads and then realize how much harder it is to drag a fitted sheet style glass tarp off of a 13 foot high load that is snagging on everything and then have to fold 2-3 of them in extreme heat only to find out that Maverick doesn't pay tarp pay for preloads even though you usually have to redo everything yourself because the loaders dgaf.

8. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    Then they wonder why they need 30-50 a week in orientation, lol

9. kmoore2min

Jan 23, 2015
    Glass isn't easy. If you are looking for easy do something else. I've not seen a glamorous truck driving job where you do nothing and make everything. Get real. Glass doors get paid more per mile than any other company driving job I've seen our there. And if you do it well you get a bonus on top of that.

Personally, since I'm not lazy and can hustle, i don't mind the tarp work. What glass pay means is that if I have a low miles week, I'm only making what you are. If I have an average week, I'm making 20% more than you are while probably still driving fewer miles than you are. And if I end up driving a lot of miles I have an insane paycheck.

If you don't feel like working for your money, then get out of the trucking business and make $25k as a secretary somewhere.

Entropy Thanks this.
  10. TokyoJoe

Feb 10, 2015
    Apparently the meaning of my message was difficult to understand.

I chose a flatbed company and went glass because I don't mind the work and better ppm but being told that we are paid for tarped loads, and all glass loads are tarped, should mean that we get paid for this work but to then find out that it's actually more difficult than tarping flatbed loads and we get paid nothing for the work is bs but I just call it exercise and log it off duty because I only do free work when I go to my parents house or my wife gives me a list.

11. kmoore2min

Jan 23, 2015
    Gotcha. They say we get paid for tarping loads, not for pre-tarped loads (unless you're dedicated, then you get something for every load whether you tarp it or not). Well, that's what they should be saying. I've not been in training for some time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.