Maverick V. TMC

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jamespgh, Feb 22, 2015.

1. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    I have pulled for both companies. Don't let either on BS you about the home time. I spent 7 weekends in the first 5 months in my truck at TMC. One was a 5 day sit in Houston. (Got the ole "We have plenty of freight to get you out of Texas" line). That all changed after I changed to a different dispatcher. Maverick wasn't too bad on home time.

Both have dry vans now. But I think you have to live in a very specific area to be in that division. I know you did at Maverick. Both have very thorough orientation programs. And Maverick has one of the most thorough DOT Physical exams I know of. A third of my orientation class was sent home due to that alone.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd start at TMC again. They have nicer equipment and their trucks are 13 speed manual shift. Something I think every truck driver should drive and get good with. Once you master a manual shift, you can drive pretty much anything on the road. Whereas, if you spend the next two years in Maverick's auto shift, other companies may be reluctant to hire you if all they have are manuals.

Just my 2 cents. OH! And if you chose TMC, stay out of the left lane! :biggrin_2559:

jamespgh Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jamespgh

jamespgh Bobtail Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks for your feedback its appreciated! I thought about the manual issue and down the line and will definitely keep that in mind. If a couple years from now I need to be home overnight and only have a company that has manual I would have to be retrained or retrain myself somehow. I think I would probably just crossed that bridge if I come to it.

How were the TMC trucks overall to drive, comfort wise compared to Maverick? It's sounds like with either company I would be in a 2012 or newer so I'm sure some of the bells and whistles will be different between some of the models and years.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

4. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    The Freightliners have quite a bit more space, the visibility while driving is better and generally have a tighter turning radius. But are prone to transmission failure (unless they've redesigned the auto shift).

The Petes have a way better ride. Or did, anyway. And back 10 years ago, probably a bit more power. Not by much though. If it matters, they also have the "Cool Factor" with all that chrome (just keep in mind you have to have a cowboy hat and fingerless gloves to drive one). I drove a 387 at TMC. It was huge inside and out. Took 40 acres to turn it around. But you could play basketball in the bunk. However, they have a limited amount of the aero trucks and you have to choose from what's available when you sign up.

jamespgh Thanks this.
  5. randomname

randomname Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2014
    I think tmc has gone away from 13 speeds and all their trucks have 9 speeds now, or are headed that way.
    You guys touched on an important issue-- automatic would be a poor choice for a new driver. At my jb hunt road test the guy who shared the truck with me couldn't shift worth poop, and he got a bus ride home. And being in the truck with a few different drivers on a local job, none of whom could shift well at all, drove the point home. It would be an awkward conversation with your next potential employer.
    Just my 2 cents.
    And I see more maverick trucks than tmc sitting around all day. Plus they're so dam ugly!

kiwi23 Thanks this.
  6. jjhicks519

jjhicks519 Bobtail Member

Apr 27, 2015
    I was in the same dilemma trying to decide between TMC and Maverick, my deciding factor was that Maverick does not hire east of 95, so i went with TMC. I start my orientation on June 1st.

kiwi23 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.