MAVERICK

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by TIMMYTWO, Jan 16, 2014.

1. wyldhorses

wyldhorses Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    United States
    Automatics rule! They make your job easier, especially when you have to go through a small town or a traffic jam. They get better fuel mileage. And they are safer! Because the driver can focus more on the road and devote all his attention to that instead of thinking about shifting and watching rpms etc. All trucking companies should go automatic, the good ones are.

Regulars Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blind Dog

Blind Dog Heavy Load Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Autos aren't that big of a deal to me. They both have there strengths and weaknesses.

4. jxu417

jxu417 Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Midwestern OH
    ...and you don't HAVE TO drive them in automatic...

5. Rigbuilder

Rigbuilder Medium Load Member

Jun 17, 2013
    Bedford, Texas
    My only issue with automatics is that when I first left Maverick a few weeks ago, I got turned down by 3 local companies because I didn't have any recent "manual transmission experience" and was told that my 3 years at Maverick didn't count for crap. Bunch a crap.

6. goatman826

goatman826 Light Load Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Winston-Salem NC
    That sucks. Did they let you do a road test in a manual?

7. JPalmer81

JPalmer81 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Show Me State
    Just curious, but why did you leave Maverick? And another question for all, how does an automatic tranny save on fuel? They take lots of horsepower to turn and they weigh a ton! Please explain.......

8. Ronin_on_MT

Ronin_on_MT Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2013
    Porkopolis
    It's not really an automatic, instead it is an Automatic Manual Transmission, or "AMT". AMTs are essentially manual transmissions with the addition of computerized air-operated shift/clutch actuators. (The weight isn't very much.) Maverick is currently using the Eaton 10-spd version and will be going with the Detroit 12-spd with the '15 models. AMTs, especially the Detroit DT12 save on fuel by optimizing the gear selection and accel/decel profiles for gear changes. Sure, a very experienced driver can match and perhaps even beat the numbers of an AMT, but on average an AMT fleet will outperform a fleet of manual transmissions. Once you use an AMT in big city rush hour traffic, you're hooked forever: consider yourself warned.

Blind Dog, wyldhorses and goatman826 Thank this.
  9. Rigbuilder

Jun 17, 2013
    Bedford, Texas
    Nope. Wouldn't even give me a road test. Had that happen twice. Was told that it wasn't considered real driving experience.

10. Rigbuilder

Jun 17, 2013
    Bedford, Texas
    My wife and I were tired of being over the road so I got a local job where I'm home every night and weekends. Still a great company, just couldn't handle the 3-4 months that I was out. It was a lot of reasons but that was one of the main ones.

11. JPalmer81

JPalmer81 Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Show Me State
    Wait a minute...3-4 months out consecutively??? That doesn't sound right.....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.