Maverick's Reputation

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by Buckeye 'bedder, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Buckeye 'bedder

Buckeye 'bedder Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Nowhere
    I am curious why considering Maverick's reputation as a great company to work for, why (according to safestat and now SMS) they always have more tractors than drivers? I would imagine the turnover to be low at Maverick. This post is not meant as criticism of any kind towards Maverick, so I hope it is not taken that way.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Lots of reasons for that...

Like any other company, Maverick wants/needs more drivers than it has...the lower 1/3 of the seniority list is always changing...this is the area Maverick wants to fill, and its why they are still hiring and training...some drivers just won't do what they ask (and they don't really ask for much...theres a lot of lazy people in the world)

Mavericks turnover is lower than most, but still high...its easy to get fired here if you don't do things the way they want it done. Lots of folks don't make it through orientation...

And some drivers wouldn't know a good job if it slapped them up the side of their head...all they know how to do is cry and whine.

The other thing is...they are regularly buying new trucks, and sometimes the old ones set around for a while before they get sold or leased.

Thats my guess anyway...

And there is all kinds of room for criticism of Maverick...anybody that says otherwise has had one too many cups of maroon Kool Aid.

Automatics...say what you want, but as I'm sitting here is Ohio in the middle of all this ice...I say these #### things are dangerous.
    Active collision avoidance system...I have yet to drive one of the new trucks that have this, but it will apply the brakes for you...that will likely cause as many wrecks as it prevents. It makes "mistakes"...and sees cars that are no threat as a threat (going around a curve and there be a car waiting to pull out from another road for example...one poorly timed tap of the brakes on an icy road is all it takes)

Stuff like that...

Mavericks defense of that argument is that they use systems similar to these to fly planes..and thats true, they do.

But Chuck Yeager was a pilot...and he flew the X1 (a crate with a rocket stickin out the back) to mach 2...he even managed to safely land after falling 30,000+ feet because the controls stopped working (aerodynamics problem...not hydraulics) at nearly mach 1...he is/was a pilot and he could fly a plane

And I am a driver...and I can drive a #### truck.

My point...and albeit a gripe on my part...is that if they keep on this trend of automated trucks, before long you could just as well teach a monkey to sit behind the wheel and look like he is doing something, because thats all the driver will be doing.

All these gadgets are put in place to keep a complacent driver from killing somebody...but I think they actually cause more drivers to be complacent.

See...I'm a Maverick (and love it), but I still call things the way I see them.

Whew...boy I took that one for as loop didn't I, LOL...as you can tell, I'm no big fan of technology...not when it takes the humanity out of it.

Electronic logs...now there is a useful piece of technology. It is a welcome replacement of the old paper logs, in my opinion.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
    JonDC70, HouseOfPain, sewerman and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Buckeye 'bedder

Buckeye 'bedder Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Nowhere
    Thanks Ridgerunner

5. jimmysr

jimmysr Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Jasper,Al.
    maverick isnt a bad company to work for they just cant get you the miles you need to make a living,unless of course you still live with momma or dont have a family.

6. TreeStand

TreeStand Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Grabill In
    Don't know how familiar you are with flatbedding but it is usually slow in the winter. When I worked for Maverick I grossed 48k the first year and was on my way to better than 50 the second. I left because I found a local job that paid as well.

7. jimmysr

jimmysr Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2010
    Jasper,Al.

yeah i understand its slow this time of year this isnt my first rodeo friend,but like i said i cant live on 400-500 dollars a week,there is nothing wrong with maverick other than i couldnt seem to get the miles.....i know some guys that are still there and they are getting great miles....not a bad company just not enough freight to go around

8. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

I just did over 3000 miles two weeks ago and almost 2500 last week.

9. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

I did some inquiring regarding the active avoidance system and was told it only does that when you have it on cruise...which you would not be using in the snow or ice anyway.
    Not sure if that is correct, but was told that by a couple of different drivers who have the newer trucks.

Ridgerunner665 and sewerman Thank this.
  10. Ridgerunner665

Ridgerunner665 Road Train Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I got 2,365 miles this week myself...not great, but not bad either considering all the little things that held me up...I must have looked guilty last week or something...I got a level 1 inspection in Kentucky and they wanted to look in my cab at Logan Aluminum (also in KY, and on the same day)...all went well with both inspections though...the level 1 DOT inspection found a leaky wheel seal on the trailer and the Logan inspection didn't find anything against the rules either (aluminum cans, aerosol cans, stuff thats dangerous in molten aluminum)

I didn't know that about it only braking for you with the cruise on...thats better I guess, but still not such a good thing IMO. (but, I didn't pay for the truck either...Steve buys em, I'll drive em)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  11. ls6firebird

ls6firebird Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2011
    so are all maverick trucks automatics?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.