Maximizing my time, logging off duty while loading/unloading?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ShlomoBYehuda, Jul 4, 2022.

1. ShlomoBYehuda

ShlomoBYehuda Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2022
    Is it legal to log off duty while being loaded/unloaded at the shipper/reciever? And if so does it pause my 14 hour shift clock?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Sixela918

Sixela918 Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    It does not pause the 14.

4. ShlomoBYehuda

ShlomoBYehuda Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2022
    Would it count towards the required break time for the 8 hours?

5. Sixela918

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Once you go on duty to start the day, the 14 starts and doesn't stop. Unless you use a split sleeper break which can be very confusing and I wouldn't recommend screwing around with ss until you really understand how it works

6. Hawkeye72

Hawkeye72 Light Load Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Wouldn't you wanna go off duty anyway? So if something happens and your there for more than 10 hours your 14 would reset.

7. Sixela918

Nov 24, 2021
    Phoenix, AZ
    Generally that's how I do it. When you're paid cpm you need hours available to make miles, not sitting getting loaded/unloaded.

8. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Yes it will pause the 14. That’s the whole point of the split sleeper.

9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I've never understood why everyone thinks splits are so hard. Your 11/14 applies to your last two shifts, and the splits have to add to 10, with 7 to 8 hours of sleeper time on the long split and at least a 2 hour break on the short split.

To the OP: yes going off duty can pause your clock, provided it's longer than 2 hours and you take the appropriate sleeper time at the end of the day.

10. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Legally you can not log off duty at a shipper or receiver unless you are free to leave, which most times you are not. You can log sleeper berth however.

11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    The trick I've learned is that if I am waiting on the next thing to happen, I can go off duty.
    Typical pick up or delivery. Arrive, switch from D to ON. Go get checked in. They'll call me when they have a dock. Get back out to truck, switch to OFF. I'm waiting for a call.. They call with a dock. I drive over (automatically puts me in D) get situated in dock. Go back to OFF. I'm waiting to get loaded or unloaded. They finish and call me to come get paperwork, or they bring it out to me. I go back to ON while I'm dealing with the paperwork, closing my doors, sliding my tandems, sending my messages, etc. Omce I leave, automatically puts me in D.
    Magic question, Am I waiting? Could I get out of my truck if I wanted to? If the answer is Yes, I can switch to Off Duty.
    As for your clocks. It won't automatically pause your 14. Time spent as OFF or ON will count toward your 30 minute break for your 8 hour clock. As long as you do not go to D, you can switch between ON, Sleeper Berth or OFF as much as you want. Once you accumulate a total of 30 minutes continuous, your 8 hour clock will reset. Your 11 hour isn't effected because you aren't driving. Lastly, it is possible to use the sleeper berth split provisions to pause your 14. Many threads on how the Sleeper Berth Split works. Go read one of them for the minutiae of how it works. But, in a nutshell. 3 rules. 1. One part has to be aleast 2 hours of Off duty and/or sleeper berth. 2. Other part has to be at least 7 hours continuous in sleeper berth. 3. Both parts have to equal to at least 10 hours and order taken doesn't matter.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  12. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Depends on how much I like my employer. Lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.