Maximizing my time, logging off duty while loading/unloading?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ShlomoBYehuda, Jul 4, 2022.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Last question first! NO! It does NOT pause the 14 unless you are off duty for 10 hours or use the split sleeper.

That first question has been discussed for years on these boards. The HOS rules as I understand them say you should be on duty unless you are NOT part of the process and released. In some places, you are directed to drop the trailer in a door and go park. I never used my line 4 time this way. 15 minutes in and out was all. Remember, it's not like there are DOT cops behind every tree ready to bust you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Glad I'm paid for everything. I just let the eld do it's thing.

But way back when.. ALL pickups and unloads were 15 minutes.
    Didn't matter how long anything took. We needed hours for paying miles. Same w inspections. They were logged for 15 even if they took 2.
    Mileage was logged what we got paid for. Zip to Zip usually.
    Always got screwed 8-10%
    We may have done 50 extra miles across cities for picks and drops but never logged those miles because gps and computers weren't tracking our moves.
    I'd do 6-8 stops in Philly or Baltimore and only show like 30 minutes on duty..lol

Just get 8 off or sleeper and you were good to go.
    Kinda miss the days of running how the day fit you.

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Hey Shlomo, what's a nice Jewish boy like you driving a truck for? I can say, without reservation, I was the only Jewish truck driver within my parents circle of friends and family, much to my fathers disappointment. I showed him, though, and did okay. We had a friend named Shlomo, and was a wonderful man.
    I was an "outlaw" and never cared about hours, one reason, of several, why I got out of trucking. When someone told me how long I was supposed to drive, that's all I needed to get out. To me, they ( the govt.) was effectively garnishing my wages. Good luck in this "mishuga" world today,,,

5. Concorde

Concorde Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2016
    West Melbourne Florida
    I always log 5-10 minutes on duty with a note once I bump a dock…just to flag it.

I don’t bother logging SB because I do dry van and am usually rolling 30 minutes later.. If you’re doing reefer food warehouses log SB yo may be there awhile :)

6. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    In that case, I’d always be off duty, ‘cuz I’m always waiting for the other shoe to fall! :confused:

7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    You're not the only one who was out here!

8. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    only thing I do differant is go on yardmove when at a terminal or shipper/receiver.
    saves the drive time

9. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    As I understood it, Yardmove is limited to a terminal and isn't supposed to be used at a shipper or receiver. However, I just looked it up at FMCSA to make sure. The guidance is it can be used at a shipper's facility if it is private property and not subject to public traffic. Something like that. So, if you're at a Distribution Center, in an area not subject to public traffic, you can. But, if you are delivering to a regular store, like a Walmart or similar that have their docks around the back, using Yard Move is not appropriate. At least that's how I read and interpret things.
    Kinda a pain on how all these rules get interpreted. Different folks read different interpretations to them. Including Mr. DOT. One officer will ticket you for something when another wont because they interpret them differently.

10. jethro712

jethro712 Medium Load Member

Aug 31, 2014
    with them bein a new driver not sure about eld, would be better short & to the point. may be an overload for them. jmo

11. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I tend to be verbose. So, wasn't trying to complicate things as much as I probably did. But, as a newbie, the concept that simplified things regarding when I could go OFF duty was clarified with the simple question, Am I waiting for the next thing to happen? If so, I can go OFF duty. That was what gave me the guidance to sort this out when I was a newb.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.