Maximum Drivable Slope

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by CuriousAboutBigTrucks, Apr 23, 2017.

1. CuriousAboutBigTrucks

CuriousAboutBigTrucks Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2017
    Hello everyone!

I am not a truck driver but have a question regarding the capabilities of your vehicles. I see big 18 wheelers driving up some pretty steep hills often and was wondering what your limitations are. If you were hauling a load near your maximum capacity, how steep of a hill would you be able to climb? Would it change if you were transporting something on an unpaved road?

Thanks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Fully loaded on pavement I pulled a 200 yard hill that was about 24%. I topped out in granny low with rpm's dropping below 1000. I had to engage the power divider to prevent spinout.

Off road I have done quite a few grades over 20%. When they get icy or muddy it becomes more challenging.

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I've taken my mixer up and down some unbelievable grades. Going down, have to go nose first, or the concrete would spill. Was on one once, wear we actually slid down, brakes fully locked, was that steep, gravity powered truck lol.
    Going back up, had to go nose first, so the weight of the engine & front end keep the truck from going end over end.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    A local quarry has a very steep road coming out of the hole. I don't know how steep it is but it's much steeper than anything you'd ever encounter out on the road. I've never hauled anything up it myself but I saw a guy in a old Ford LTL9000 haul a 100,000# crusher out of there. He was carrying the left front tire most of the way. It was a impressive sight and I was waiting for something in the driveline to give but he made it.

DDlighttruck and Lepton1 Thank this.

6. Alot of variables apply to the answer to your question.

Motor hp
    Transmission type
    Clutch type
    Gear ratio (axles as well as transmission)
    Tire types

I've seen log trucks as well as north Dakota sand and water trucks. Traverse may types of grades.

Search YouTube you may find some videos on this. Good luck

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.