Maxx Force 13 Engines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Yeomen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. grandpa joe 71

grandpa joe 71 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    Not really sure but I got a 13 that is costing more than what it's worth

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. grandpa joe 71

grandpa joe 71 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    I have a 2010 that has been in 2 shops currently going on 3 months and still cant get it figured out

4. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    And Navistar is bringing out a new Maxxforce 13 starting next spring. Wonder if they learned their lesson and have the bugs worked out of this one. They sure can't take the hit again that they did on the current one.

5. Brdhntr

Brdhntr Bobtail Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Minnesota
    I've been driving an N13 since July on a full maintenance lease and I'm very happy with it.
    i get 6.8-7.2 from tank to tank consistently. It's a 2016 prostar es. It's very quiet and enjoyable to drive.
    the engine has a real wide power range and pulls good all the way down to 1000 rpm.

6. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Getting off advanced EGR and getting with the DEF/SCR game should have made a major improvement. Nice to hear that you are not having any issues. That is a good sign.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I have to be honest and give credit where it is due. We have had ZERO problems with Maxxforce 13 and N13 as far as pistons, rods, valve train, heads and most mechanical parts of the engine. Other than fuel pumps, the injection system and injectors are good too. All the problems are basically EGR related. Now that the N13 is SCR and egr is greatly reduced we are hoping for a tremendous reliability improvements. I know we all deserve it!!! LOL!

SAR Thanks this.
  8. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I hope they work out too. I've been a long time International fan and customer.

9. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Was trying to dig up some information on the new N13 they are going to make available in Spring of '17. Not a lot of details available yet that I can find.

What with their new alliance with VW, and their previous association with a Danish company called Amminex, Some interesting things could happen. Amminex has a cartridge type of system for delivering urea ammonia to the SCR. As opposed to DEF which is 32.5% urea and 67.5% water, this unit has 100% urea in a salt substrate that is released as needed. There is no delays due to freezing and other issues. On demand all the time. No having to fill a DEF tank. Just have the cartridge recharged or replaced. A spare cartridge could be carried without risk of spillage or other issues. It can meet all emissions requirements and would be able to do so without EGR at all! It can reduce NOx by over 90% alone without EGR.

http://www.amminex.com/products.aspx

Navistar bought a piece of the action with Amminex a few years ago....

http://fleetowner.com/green/navistar-invest-amminex-1221

Who Knows? Will be interesting to watch. The Amminex system can reduce NOx below even the 2017 EPA mandated levels.... without EGR!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  10. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I wonder what happened to this new DEF fluid that was supposed to be available that doesn't freeze? I haven't seen it on the shelves at my dealers yet.

Well, between Navistar, and their new partners through VW (MAN, Scania and the others) there is no shortage of good equipment and technology there. Hopefully they get it all put together right.

11. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    My Buddy bought a 2012 Prostar with N13. Made in summer of 2011. I thought these were EGR trucks. This has SCR. Engine looks new. Is Diamond Renewed converting EGR Maxxforces to SCR to move the glut of used Maxxforces? I see old articles saying the N13 is going to SCR in early 2013 so I'm wondering how a N13 from 2011 has SCR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.