Maxx Force 13 Engines

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Yeomen, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Ya, OK Heavyd. Keep me posted if you come across anything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Logan May

Logan May Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2015

4. Logan May

Logan May Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2015

5. Logan May

Logan May Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Yeah I just blew a head gasket on mine not reliable. Wouldn't pull a greased string out of a cats ###!

bmercer Thanks this.
  6. romanl1

romanl1 Bobtail Member

Jun 18, 2015
    hi Im new owner of 2012 prostar plus with maxxforce 13 . I have read up all the negative comments and was very torn about buying that truck, low price but will it let me down... 5 weeks in and is running at is best , fuel mileage is crazy good 9mpg in city driving ( container work, 50/50 heavy/mt) , nice plesent quiet cab,dual ac with battery backup. regen has not been a factor as of yet. went to the shop once with hard cold starting problem , turn out to be cracked housing on fuel filter ,small bill. So far so good!!!

Heavyd Thanks this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Glad to hear. There are good ones out there. As long as the aftertreatment has been maintained and you don't overfill the oil you have a better chance of success.

8. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    QUOTE="Yeomen, post: 1612313, member: 52993"]Just a quick question. There is a fair amount of scuttlebutt that the 2010 Maxx Force 13 engines (with the EGR system, not with the left over Cummins Engines) are not working well in the real world. The gist is the the EGR system is producing excess heat and thus the engines are not as efficient as claimed, nor are they proving to be reliable at all. I have heard some dealers can not keep them running, can not get them to haul loads, and can not sell them whatsoever. Basically what is circulating is that these engines will fail economy tests, lack torque etc etc.

Have any of you driven one yet, seen one, worked on one etc?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated

YEO[/QUOTE]

Stay away from maxx force engines.. please. Not even useful for a boat anchor

9. OneOff

OneOff Bobtail Member

Aug 29, 2015
    I have a stumble when I accelerate ...but usually after I idle for to long at a light have replaced accel pedal and international dealer is dumbfounded I am going to look at fuses and see if that helps

10. grandpa joe 71

grandpa joe 71 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2015
    I've spent 5 k in 2 months just on diagnosis and they still can't figure it out

11. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I've been up north working with two Maxxforce powered Paystar's and a Cat CT660.

These Maxxforce engines seem to be just like a 6.0L Powerstroke. A select few won't die while others won't stay running.

Anyway, I was surprised one day when one of those Paystar's was keeping up to me in the hills. So when we got back to the asphalt plant I asked the driver how it's been. He said great. Pulls real good and excellent fuel mileage. Then he pointed at the other one. "See that one over there? We have $45,000 into it so far to keep it running."

Other interesting thing I heard. I have problems with my DD15 as far as regens when I'm working around town as a straight dump truck without my trailer. It just doesn't work hard enough.
    The guy in the Cat truck (essentially a Maxxforce painted yellow) said he leaves his idling all day. He said the regen light comes on and it doesn't even rev up like my Detroit. It just does it's thing sitting there idling.
    It has 170,000 KM on it now and 1700 hours and he said he has never had to do a parked regen.

Seems odd to me? Did Cat make some kind of improvement to them?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.