Maxxforce 13 blowing turbo hoses

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by avgdzlmekanic, Feb 11, 2020.

1. avgdzlmekanic

avgdzlmekanic Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    So I'm starting this new thread just because I really couldn't find a topic on this exact problem that I'm having. Anyway, one of our trucks blew off the hose going from the turbo to the charge air cooler. This was the first time, so I thought just maybe the clamp was loose. However, today we had the turbo hoses blow again. This time both hoses blew off. I think that one of the drivers may have taken one of the hoses off because I've never seen two hoses blow off the charge air cooler, but if I had a hose blow off, why? Would I be over boosting? If I am over boosting, why am I over boosting? Can I have a sensor reading wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Very easy to over boost. The waste gate needs to open to lower the boost. The waste gate is controlled by a separate valve. Lots to fail. Linkage could be seized. Sensor could be plugged and engine not seeing true pressure too.

avgdzlmekanic and QUALITYTRUCK Thank this.
  4. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    Sweet. Thanks for the pointers. What sensor would be failing if it is a sensor? What do you recommend I do to pinpoint the problem and not just throw parts at the truck?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    At the dealer level, we take them for a road test with a computer hooked up and record it. Then we review the fuel pressure, exhaust pressures and boost pressures and go from there. We can perform actuator testing on the turbo waste gate system, but again, you need the computer for that. If you don't have access to that, then you are stuck throwing parts at it, which I do not recommend.

6. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    We do have a laptop with NED on it. So I can do most things. What am I looking for numbers wise?

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    40 psi of boost under full load full rpm.

avgdzlmekanic Thanks this.
  8. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    55-65 inch pounds on the clamps. You using cheap clamps? Need t bolt clamps. Quality ones. They shouldn’t come off even if over boosting.

9. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal
    OEM clamps. We don't use anything else

10. Chubby Fly

Chubby Fly Medium Load Member

Nov 25, 2019
    Ok. you sure you torqued them down. I have put some serious boost to stuff. Usually the clamps hold but will blow a whole in boot. I find it hard to believe you are pushing that much boost to where the clamps ca1nt hold it. ust saying. doesnt sound right

11. avgdzlmekanic

Jun 8, 2019
    SoCal

Yeah I get you. We have a fleet of about 30 trucks. This is the first one that has done this to us. But it could be that they weren't torqued down correctly last EGR cooler replacement. Just weird to happen twice to us. Could be our drivers wanting overtime... Will wait and see at this point. Thanks for the input

Chubby Fly Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.