Maxxforce 13 Coolant Leak

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bugsy1108, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Bugsy1108

Bugsy1108 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2019
    My engine has something of a phantom. I have a coolant leak that can go through about a gallon over the course of 300 miles. I cannot seem to find the source of this leak. When I stop I can find coolant dripping from above the starter, but not where it originates. Could there be a hose or connector in this area that is prone to failure that I am just missing? I pray it's not an EGR issue because I just had that entire system rebuilt last January (2018).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cprems

cprems Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Any white smoke or other symptoms? It does sound like your EGR coolers may have gone bad but they're fairly new. maybe @Heavyd can give you an idea. This guy is a maxxforce guru!

4. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
    Periodically I have gotten an Ashen sort of smoke while under load. It does not occur infrequently oh, but I can go a week or two without it happening and then have it a couple times in a day. People at International told me that this is indicative shutting down the truck during a automatic regeneration.
    Before the EGR was worked on I frequently got billowing white smoke and loss of power.

cprems Thanks this.
  5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Most EGR cooler failures do not produce external leaks, so if you are finding coolant on the ground or on the engine in that area, I would suspect it is just a coolant leak from something back there.

cprems Thanks this.
  6. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
    Turns out the stainless coolant line had a stress crack. Dodged a bullet.

77fib77 and cprems Thank this.
  7. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
    Well here I go again.
    Along with the coolant leak they found a clamp on the turbo that was not tightening. They replace that. Now a week later I'm having problems with its not running passive regions and I had to take it back to the shop because it wouldn't want to regen at all. They did it clean and bake on the DPF filter and the DOC. After reassembly they told me it was failing the test by not reaching optimal temperatures.
    They said most likely I needed to replace the DOC. They however did not have one available and said it would take a week or so to acquire one. They suggested I could just run as is and see if problems persist.
    Right now I am 48 hours later doing a parked Regen.
    Hoping Heavy D or some others may be able to give advice here.
    I do not know if they cleaned the predoc or not.
    I do not know if they checked the injector or not.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

8. cprems

cprems Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Sounds like your doser injector is blocked or sooted up. I hope @Heavyd will chime in here for you.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    If they do a regen and it smokes a lot, that means the DOC is degraded. If it doesn't smoke much and doesn't build temps, the doser might be bad. If the doser is more than a couple of years old, I would replace it when they replace your DOC, or whatever the plan is.

10. Juve1985

Juve1985 Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2014
    When I had my 2012 Prostar with maxxforce engine first two years were ok, while most people were complaining about regan issues shockingly I did not have those issues. I would remove Doser Valve every 2-3 months and gave it a nice cleaning and truck was running fine. Than I kind of got lazy and stopped cleaning doser valve than truck started asking for parked regan all the time. I also noticed the truck was not raising the temperature. Than I started spending more time in the shop than on road. The dealer kept cleaning and baking DPF but I could not move one load without issues. Than I replaced fan clutch because it was running when it shouldn't and truck started raising the temperature but dealer said it was too late because DOC and DPF were damaged so I needed to replace those. At that point I had no money anymore to repair so I decided to spend my last buck on delete and truck was running fine after, I was running only 3 months after delete before I sold it.
    Bottom line is this trucks will run and they are very nice but they require all the time maintenance to keep running, If I was in your situation I would look at the water gauge, that water gauge has to be around 180 but going uphill (see the pic) it has to go above 200. On a hot day if you are heavy temp will be around 190 even when not going uphill, That is what you want see on this truck, I would also clean or change doser valve (see the pic) and last choice yes if you have money replace DOC and DPF.

Attached Files:

Bugsy1108 Thanks this.
  11. Bugsy1108

Mar 20, 2019
    Based on the history I have for the truck, as far as I can tell the DPF, doc, and doser are all original from 2014.
    I don't know if it's smoked when they did the regen. As I'm driving along periodically I will get an ashen smoke just billowing. I assume it is from the emission system as the truck does not use oil or antifreeze.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.