Maxxforce 13 Engine Fan Conversion

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by trulytex, Jun 21, 2018.

1. trulytex

trulytex Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    2012 International Prostar Daycab with Maxxforce 13 - I had the dreaded Engine Fan Bearing Fail and the truck is covered with Oil. I know that the dealership can install a conversion kit for the engine fan to be belt driven rather that engine driven, but their price with Labor was going to be around $10,000. Is there an aftermarket kit for this conversion? Has anybody done this themselves? If so, how did it work?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Wa wa what???? I’ve read a lot of bad things about maxforce engines but this is a new one on me!!!

I’m all ears?

trulytex Thanks this.
  4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes, another reason to hate them. The fan hub is gear driven off the front of the engine and the outer bearing is lubricated by main engine oil pressure. The shaft can fail and cause it walk out of the hub, taking the rad with it sometimes, which opens up the oil seal and full oil pressure is spraying all over the place!

Intothesunset, trulytex and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Wow!!! $10 grand to fix though?

trulytex Thanks this.
  6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Not for the fix, for the conversion. Fix would be less than half that as long as the rad wasn't damaged. There are actually two fan hub options, low and high mount. The high mount is a conventional belt driven air operated clutch style. Since it the front structure of the engine is slightly different with that option, several front cover, water housing parts have to be changed which is why it is so expensive.

2013Maxx, Tug Toy and trulytex Thank this.
  7. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    Dealership estimated 40 hours in Labor for the Conversion. I am leaning towards putting it back together with the original set-up and having my mechanic do it. $129/hr shop rate adds up fast! The fan didn't hit the Radiator, so there was no damage there. Hell, it's going to take 5+ hours just to wash all of the Oil off of everything, IT IS COVERED!

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  8. Tug Toy

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Ok thanks,

Note to self.......

Intothesunset and trulytex Thank this.
  9. Twista89

Twista89 Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Is there any tell signs that the fan needs to be replaced before this all happens?

10. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Just seal seepage before a bearing failure from excessive radial play. It is normal to have a couple mm of lateral end play though if you ever grab it and pull it in and out to check for play.

soultrader, Intothesunset and trulytex Thank this.
  11. trulytex

Feb 6, 2013
    Okeechobee, FL
    Mine just happened All of the Sudden. I have 5 of these trucks and this is the only one that experienced this, but it has the most mileage on it, around 550,000.

Intothesunset Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.