Maxxforce 13 Fuel Anomaly

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Bugsy1108, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Bugsy1108

Bugsy1108 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2019
    I have a a 2014 Prostar with the every so wonderful Maxxforce 13.
    It's finally just to much, so I've decided to part with it.
    One final conundrum just for curiosity,
    I've noticed for a few months the fuel usage seemed top be higher than the gauge readout. I thought I was being paranoid until now.
    I had to bobtail 600 miles. The readout says I was getting 12mpg - which is about right for a bobtail. But I went from full tanks (twin 100s) to less than a quarter full on the gauge. Sticked the tanks just to verify, and sure enough it used around 150 gallons in 600 miles, bobtail.
    That would be crap mileage even fully loaded.
    There is no sign of leakage. I have had frequent regen cycles lately and dense ashen smoke during regen.
    I know there is a sensor for fuel usage, but that wouldn't explain the full issue.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Unless u track miles to gallons for an avg it's useless to try and find a problem that may or may not be here.

4. Bugsy1108

Bugsy1108 Light Load Member

Mar 20, 2019
    I've had this truck for a few years.
    I was a lot more methodical about tracking when I first got it. The first year I owned the truck I averaged 7.8 miles per gallon. 70% of my Freight was above 40000 lb.
    In October of last year I drove from Tampa Florida to Columbus Ohio with no fuel stops. 1100 miles roughly. And it still had more than a quarter tank.
    So in terms of long-term tracking, I got used to my truck being so consistent that I really didn't pay much attention to it. But having such a drastic change in fuel economy in such a short time frame I was hoping that people would have The Usual Suspects list, so to speak.

These newer engines I'm just not up on. In a Detroit 60 if your fuel economy suddenly went to hell, apart from a leak, there are only a few things that could cause it and most likely you would be seeing smoke like coal, or diesel in your oil. With this maxxforce you see practically nothing out of the ordinary except for the fuel usage.

5. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
  6. Teji585

Teji585 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2023

7. Teji585

Teji585 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2023

8. Teji585

Teji585 Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2023
    I have same issue with my truck
    Did you find problem?

9. Truckingrus1

Truckingrus1 Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2023
    Hello did someone figure out the problem? This thing get 3.7 per mile it’s killing me.

10. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    How many miles on truck/engine? Has anyone checked the air filter? Visually check the air intake for loose clamps etc, have the intake piping and CAC pressure/smoke tested. Need to have it hooked up to a computer to read the data to see if anything is out range, what are the injectors doing etc. You could try adding some Howes Diesel Defender or Meaner Power Kleaner to the tank and see if that does any good.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.