Maxxforce 13 losing power intermittent

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Rlequire, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Rlequire

Rlequire Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Maryville, TN
    Hey everyone new to the pst, long time trucker. I purchased a 2011 prostar with the maxxforce 13, got a good deal (now I know why). I've had numerous issues with it, most I've taken care of ($30K later). Having another problem and hoping someone out there can't help me figure it out.
    I can go down the road and I'll lose power, probably 25% less, I'll turn the ignition switch off and back on real fast, then I'll get the power back for about 5 miles or so, then it repeats this scenario time after time. Took into the dealer they hooked up and said the turbo is showing active fault as well as the injection pump. So could be either, but those are both mechanical, seems I have an electrical issue. Any thoughts besides getting rid of this POS, which I can't at this point in time but you know I want to! Any ideas would be great!
    Ron

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Didn't know there were still some of these on the road, figured they were all in the junkyard by now.

Sorry for your pain.

4. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Repower with a used Cummins engine.
    Which could get pricey, but if the rest of the truck is in good condition............

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Someone didn’t do there homework before the purchase. Not trying to break your balls, but the “Maxxforce” nightmares have been around since they first came out. If the offer was to good to refuse.... that would of been red flag number 1.
    I know 2 individuals that bought those. The first one was mister it all.... I warned him he he had all the right answers. 2 months later, he became a company employee, the truck “Broke him”
    The second one was just like you, “the deal was to good to pass up”, last I heard and it’s been several months, the truck was still running but he is the kind that will suck it up and not tell you it’s a lemon.
    Goodluck..... my recommendation.... SELL IT

6. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    On a side note, I passed by a “Lot” in Fontana of Slover and Citrus area, it was full and I mean completely filled with the Prostars. And I don’t mean a sales lot.... just a storage lot. Probably waiting for the bone yard.

Bakerman Thanks this.
  7. Bakerman

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, some look like old Heartland trucks.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  8. Rlequire

Rlequire Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Maryville, TN
    There should be, it ought to be a law to keep them from being sold!

Bakerman Thanks this.
  9. Rlequire

Rlequire Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah would be a great option if this POS didn't keep draining my account

Bakerman Thanks this.
  10. Rlequire

Rlequire Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Maryville, TN
    You are correct, I did not do my homework on this truck! But now I am in it too deep and I don't have the money to get another, hopefully someone will take it in on a trade-in. But I know that will be a very unlikely situation

11. Rlequire

Rlequire Bobtail Member

Feb 27, 2018
    Maryville, TN

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.