Maxxforce 13 losing power intermittent

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Rlequire, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    It's only 4 wires. Purple should have power with the key on, white is ground and the green and yellow are datalink wires. The datalink wires are connected and you can test for continuity at your diagnostic connector. The yellow goes pin C and green to D at the diag connector. Also make sure the code hasn't changed to inactive or previously active. The codes will not clear totally out by themselves.

QUALITYTRUCK Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Beast32

Beast32 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    LesBrinson, when you say your power keeps cutting out, you mean while you are on the road the truck just dies?

4. Beast32

Beast32 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    From your experience Heavy, have you run across anyone that you've assisted with this low power issue, or similar issue with power, that said that clearing this code resolved it?

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    No. I would suspect a failing air control valve or weak fuel pump. I think you are right in that sweet spot where you have a mechanical issue such as low boost or fuel pressure that is causing the low power but not enough for the ECM to trigger a fault code yet.

6. Moose17325

Moose17325 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2019
    PA
    I have a 2012 Maxxforce 13 and had the exact same issue you are having. Unfortunately mine was the fuel pump. If you cycle the key like I did and it corrects the issue I would have the pump pressure checked.

7. Beast32

Beast32 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I appreciate the insight Moose! I am still driving it this way, and cycling the key works like a charm to give full power for the times I need it. After driving it like this for so long now, I know that the full power lasts for right around 3 or 4 minutes before it goes back to like 3/4ths power, which is fine with me. I only need full power when going up mountains or relatively long inclines. I've gotten used to driving it like this, and have determined it's not hurting anything more than any other wear and tear, or it would seem that way at least. I really think it is something electrical, because if it were mechanical I would think the problem would have worsened by now. It's been at least 5 months since I initially experienced this low power issue and I've been driving it regularly throughout this time, and the problem hasn't gotten worse (now I need to find some wood to knock on).

8. Sam718

Sam718 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2017

9. Sam718

Sam718 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Mine was the fuel pump.

10. Beast32

Beast32 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Wow. Really? How is it driving now that you got it replaced? Were you having the same issue where you cycle the key and full power returned?

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.