Maxxforce 13 losing power intermittent

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Rlequire, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Beast32

Beast32 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    I appreciate you sending me to that thread, I hadn't read that yet. Well, as of now, the only active codes I have are spn 4 fmi 5, spn 520211 spn 7, spn 524285 fmi 14.

Inactive or prev. active are all the fuel pressure codes you have mentioned that indicate bad fuel pump: spn 3055 fmi 15, spn 3055 fmi 0, and spn 3055 fmi 17. There are a bunch of other inactives as well. Do you want me to list those?

Even though the 3055 codes are not active, I am starting to think it could be the fuel pump from what I'm reading. Two people with the exact same problem I am having said the fuel pump fixed their issue. Well, when I get it replaced, I'll post and let the forum know as well so we can add confirmation to this issue.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DirtyDog13

DirtyDog13 Bobtail Member

May 8, 2018
    I have been running 11 Prostars(2011-2014) for a couple years now. All sporting the Maxxforce 13 with less then 400k miles on them. Bought them all from various auctions for less than $15k per unit. I have learned that at some point the gear driven fan will need to be replaced and also the fuel pump. Both operations together cost me just under $10k, tho not necessarily done at the same time. An aftermarket DPF runs around $2500, plus a little more for emissions sensors. So while the $$$ does add up, I am satisfied with the trucks. Once you get them running correctly they are great trucks for less than $30k. BTW I have yet to put any extra $$$ into 5 of them. Trucking isn't cheap, but if anyone knows where I can get one of those MAINTENANCE FREE trucks let me know.

4. Sam718

Sam718 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Have your Fuel Pump Tested for Pressure. Mine was a Fuel pump with dame exact issue.

5. Sam718

Sam718 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2017
    Yes it was exactly the same. Heavy D helped me out. Heavy D os God send Man. Listen to what he’s saying. Mine was a Fuel pump.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  6. Sam718

Sam718 Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2017
    It’s been good and the power came back but now I’m having a similar problem again but this time the power is gone for good

7. Beast32

Beast32 Bobtail Member

Apr 16, 2019
    Man I hate to hear that. Do you have it in the shop?

Today I just got my other truck out of the shop, same year, make, model, it was in there almost a year because I didn't have the money to get it fixed. I finally came up with the money and got it repaired. The problem with that one was low power, plus a bad fuel leak. I ended up getting a new fuel pump and fuel rail. Cost a little over $7k. I'm in the truck now running my first load since the fix and the truck is running like a dream. No power loss issue anymore. So this is even more confirmation that my other truck has the same issue with the fuel pump needing to be replaced.

Do you have any idea what is the cause of your low power this time? Certainly your pump is not out again...?

8. Johnrali

Johnrali Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2019
    Hi, I own a 2014 maxxforce 9 and I had problems with my electric low pressure fuel pump dying out. After some sleepless nights we found out the wire from the fuel pump relay going to pin 4and6 of the fuel pump connector was intermittently cutting off. We ran another wire from relay to fuel pump , seems to have solved the problem I had. Hope this is helpful to anyone.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. bakhtimaks

bakhtimaks Bobtail Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Hey Ron
    I have a same problem, my truck 2013 maxxforce 13
    If you find a problem please share with me

10. Frustrated Firefighter

Frustrated Firefighter Bobtail Member

Dec 1, 2019
    First time poster, please bear with me.
    My issue is with a 2015 International with a Maxxforce engine (it's a fire engine). My issue is intermittent power loss when going uphill. The engine never pulled hills well to begin with, but now it absolutely drags! I'll be going uphill as normal, between 2000-2100 RPM, and it'll suddenly lose power and drop down to around 1500-1600 RPM. Once this happens, I won't be able to get it past 5 MPH until I'm going down the other side. It also occasionally occurs on flat ground at freeway speeds (~68 MPH) It's an automatic transmission, but this occurs regardless of the gear it's in.
    I have had it into the shop and they diagnosed it as a bad throttle position sensor. They replaced the sensor, but my issue still remains. Anybody have any ideas? My station is going absolutely insane with this issue!

11. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The truck needs to be driven under load with Navistar Engine Diagnostics connected to it and record a performance snapshot to see if it is meeting specs for things like boost, exhaust and fuel pressures.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.