Maxxforce 7 Ongoing trouble (that no one can fix)

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Gordy, Nov 2, 2016.

1. JeepJoey345

JeepJoey345 Bobtail Member

Nov 2, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    Maxx 7 replacement in a 4300 was paying a whopping 13ish hours in 2013. My boss was happy as I was getting them done in around 20. Big bores paid some low turd like 18 or 17, they took me close to 35 hours usually. So many connectors, and the harness in those was and is horrid.

I think the OEM's have gone crazy with the computer stuff it hurts any little guys out there. You almost need oem software to do ANYTHING past EPA07 in diesels these days.

x1Heavy and Heavyd Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Find a DT466 complete with trans. and do a swap. If you were going to replace the engine, put something reliable in there.

4. JeepJoey345

Nov 2, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    Ya I know that. The majority of the trucks I was doing motors in were leasing trucks so as long as the job got done in the quickest amount of days it wasnt to big of a deal. So clock time wasnt an issue really, you spend two twelve hour days on one max 7, boss is happy that they get out.Still 24 hours clock time on a 13 hour paid job (that has probably been dropped more currently) sucks.

5. JeepJoey345

Nov 2, 2016
    Eldersburg MD
    it would be quite tricky to run all that multiplexed stuff correctly in the truck after a dt466 swap. I am sure it has been done, but in this case I think fixing the turdbox max 7, then once running correctly get into something else, would be a better option then attempting to swap that motor in. I believe this thought process is why the new 4300's with B motors are being sold with 4 year unlimited miles warranties currently (according to the ad I keep seeing online)

6. luisvegas

luisvegas Bobtail Member

Apr 21, 2017
    hi guy , I have a question , I have the international 2008 durstar maxxforce, this truck only have 44000 miles , when start the truck everything is good, after 5 or 10 minutes the truck start smoking (White)and the oil come out from the dipstick , the temperature is normal(170-190) , oil pressure is normal too (60 cool - 25 hot with the truck parking) also sometimes the smoke and oil come and sometime no , 3 different people see the truck and all 3 said different thing any help here is very appreciate

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Sounds like a scored piston. Have a crankcase pressure or blow by test done to see if you have excessive blowby. Sounds like you need a rebuild.

8. Randal Kennett

Randal Kennett Bobtail Member

Jun 16, 2018
    I have a 2012 Duramax with DT466. It starts and runs fine till its shutoff. Then its rolling the dice if it will startup in de-rate mode. 1,000 rpm max. No active codes, no dash lights. Nothing but limp. Left me totally stranded today. Tried resetting codes, disconnect battery, checked fuses, breakers, tapped on relays. Checked every connector. Let cool for 4 hours. Most unreliable truck I ever owned.

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Durastar with a Maxxforce DT. Disconnecting batteries will do nothing. If it is derating then it will log a code. Not all codes cause a warning light. I would be checking ICP pressure, and fuel pressure. Both can be seen with a laptop and Navistar Engine Diagnostics which is the first tool I grab.

10. Carbdoc

Carbdoc Bobtail Member

May 10, 2019
  11. Carbdoc

Carbdoc Bobtail Member

May 10, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.