May get fired - Need advice please.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by garyg, May 18, 2012.

1. garyg

garyg Bobtail Member

May 18, 2012
    minneapolis,MN
    I am looking for some advice. I went through the whole training program with Roehl and was solo for the last couple months OTR.
    What happened was I dropped a trailer that apparently had some damage on it, I never noticed it or reported it. The consignee has me on video checkining in and the damage is noticeable on video, so I am being blamed for it whether I caused it or not. Should have caught it on a VC either way.
    Roehl took my truck and are sending me home, they say they will let me know in a couple weeks, but I doubt I will drive for them again unless someone else cops up to the damage.
    I want some advice - I want to keep driving OTR, but will I have trouble getting hired somewhere after this? Where should I go - another training company?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    If the damage is noticeable on a video how could yo have possibly not seen it? You bsically had an accident you didn't report. You are not in a good situation. Its going to be extremely difficult to keep driving

Ooops...misread that. I thought you actually DROPPED the trailer causing damage.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  4. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    so what did you sideswipe?

5. Gambinos Wrath

Gambinos Wrath Light Load Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Denver, co
  6. texan007

texan007 Medium Load Member

Jun 5, 2010
    In the woods,TEXAS
    I agree sounds like if was even able to been seen by what that typically low Res. cheap#$$ cameras then you had to have known it was there. I mean it hard to tell another man he is being dishonest but that's also part of being a man.
    As a business owner I can tell you that even if you did not own up to it at first!, if you came to me personally and said "look I know it was wrong but i really need this job and I was scared for my job, my life, my kids, all kinds of things were racing through my mind, I wanted to tell someone there or call it in but i was still in oanic mode and just left!" I'm sorry I will help to pay for the damage out of my paycheck!"
    As a business owner I would say get the hell out but I'm also a man so I'd base it on who your are, your past record and whether or not I personally thought I could ever trust you again!

The fact that its a big company means your butt is out on the street BUT if you did do it maybe try this approach.

This is a PRIME EXAMPLE though of why I preach "get a dashcam" if you did not do it then the dash Cam would have no record of this ......be it video or the impact G sensor. I'm just saying drivers even company drivers....use your head this is the world...the other side cops, companies, hell everybody will have THEIR VIDEO record and for $150-500 bucks you can too. Mine was $250 and shoots GREAT video.

Good luck driver if you didn't do it! If you did then come clean and try to get your self respect back.

This is a hard industry you do need crao like this to make it worse either way.

It seems from what i here about many of these horrible big companies that someone will hire you. And we live in a sick world at times heck you might find some small out for that thinks its funny you stuck a big company....stranger comments have been made!

FatDaddy Thanks this.
  7. garyg

garyg Bobtail Member

May 18, 2012
    minneapolis,MN
    No I didn't cause the damage as far as I know. (D+H at cosignee, next driver picking up trailer reported damage)
    Yeah I should've noticed it. Shoulda woulda coulda. now my driving days are over?

8. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    Part of doing a pretrip inspection is actually doing an inspection. You'll find more things wrong with a trailer than you do your truck because of the passing the buck thing.

Either you are saying you didn't do an inspection or trying to cover up what happened. That's a no win situation.

Your driving days aren't over. I'm sure someone else will give you a chance. You might have to go back out with a trainer if it's a training company since you don't have 6 months in. You can read many companies hiring requirements and many say no more than two accidents or similar.

Always CYA if you pick up a damaged trailer. It only takes a second to document it, send a message, take a time stamped picture, etc.

Raiderfanatic Thanks this.
  9. dude6710

dude6710 Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    MN
    so there dock driver hit somthing or was it shown damaged when you brought it to them?

10. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    They had him on video.

Wargames Thanks this.
  11. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    Of course not, this is trucking. You could more or less kill someone and still be able to find work in this industry if you put your mind to it. Your options will now likely be fewer than they would have been otherwise. But fewer is not the same as gone completely.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.