May idle policy

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by GWG, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    you go out with a trainer for a few weeks, based on how your trainer thinks you do, as little as (i think) 2 weeks and up to like 2 months or longer. lots of the bigger ones send you out for months no matter what. then you return, and test with safety, as long as that goes ok then you're good to go, same test you take when you are in orientation just now you actually use all the gears. the equipment is good, newer trucks for the most part, and good trailers, for the most part ^.^ I ran reefer with may, the company Im with now I run dry van and well yeah sometimes I miss having the nicer trailers that may had. Idle at your discretion, and when you do, submit an idle request and you should be fine. summer is like 45% and winter is 10??? i think that 2nd one is wrong but Im sure someone will correct me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. platinum

platinum Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Read The Forums Everything Is In These Forums.

4. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Hey Blue, thanks a lot!!! When you say: "Idle at your discretion, and when you do, submit an idle request and you should be fine. summer is like 45% and winter is 10??? i think that 2nd one is wrong but Im sure someone will correct me.", what does that really mean? I am a soon to be student and sorry if I dont understand this, that is why I am asking. I am not clear on what the 45% in summer and the 10% in winter really mean.
    Thanks much!!!

G MAN

5. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    Why do people put up with this crap? I refuse to be cold/hot when Im sleeping in a truck.
    When it comes to the point where I couldnt find a company that has respect enough for a drivers comfort
    and safety that I couldnt be comfortable, time to move on to a different career

6. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Totally agree flatbedder, but for someone new, starter companies that have driver comfort first, are rare, if even non-existence. GTI has APU's but they have a freeze on hiring for the foresable future due to too many students in their pipeline. Other than that, I am falling short. Do you have any suggestions as far as companies?
    Thanks.
    G MAN

7. flatbedder

flatbedder Medium Load Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Illinois
    Well, not out in your area, lol. Just gotta search long and hard, there are carriers out there that are small
    and take on drivers with new CDL's. And in my experience, they treat drivers a whole lot better than these
    revolving door training companies.

8. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Thanks. I HAVE been searching long and hard, 5-6 hours per day, 5 days a week, like its my JOB! No luck in finding small carriers that have quality equip with driver comfort in mind. Only the mega carriers keep showing up that hire recent CDL grads.
    G MAN

9. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm not going to argue the bolded part, because for the most part it's true. Thing is, why should a new driver be treated as a second or third rate citizen. We all have basic needs, and one of them is to be comfortable in our "home environment". As an OTR driver, that truck becomes one's "home environment" whenever they are away from their traditional home. To requre a driver to freeze and/or boil is just wrong. I know it's been stated that you can send in a request for idle time, but really, that shouldn't even have to be. I know fuel is expensive these days, but OTR drivers sacrifice so much being out on the road. Crappy food, crappy showers, away from family and friends for weeks at a time, etc. Why should they have to sacrifice basic temperature comfort as well?

Down the road Thanks this.
  10. GWG

GWG Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Agreed!!! Its the game and and we have to play with their rules, as a newbie starting out. I am NOT HAPPY about it, but unless someone can help me pull back the magic curtain to find smaller companies, and or whatever, I am stuck! Especially coming from CA. I LOVE TMC, but they dont hire in my area. I gotta have a CA address, so what am I gonna do but suck it up, suffer for a year or two, then move on.

G MAN

11. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    ok idling... it is a percentage, of time that your truck is on and NOT driving rather than driving. so say, you get your truck, you have it RUNNING for 12 hours. 9 of those hours you were driving, 3 of those hours you were just sitting there with the engine on. your idle is 25%... get it? 75% of that time you were driving, 25% of that 12 hrs you were just idling (running the engine), not moving. its easy with may, cause you can see your idle on the qualcomm. so, the more you run, the lower that number will get. in the summer they let you run the truck more, because the ac needs the engine to be on or you're gonna kill that battery quick. winter time, may has bunk heaters, that dont require the truck to be running in order to run it. it will still use some of the battery but not nearly as much as the ac does. of course there are lots of other ifs and buts, but thats just the basics.

and its not that may wont let you idle, they will... they just want you to be aware of it, but that horse has been beaten dead quite a few times

DoneYourWay Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.