May Orientaion Phoenix

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by wyndup, Mar 19, 2013.

1. wyndup

wyndup Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    I thought I would post a thread about orientaion with MTC.

I retired from the Navy after 22 years last week and reported to MTC in Phoenix today.

Day 1:

MTC has us staying at the Days Inn in Phoenix, Not a bad place. You get a free Breakfast. Now not really sure I would call it breakfast. They got coffee and rolls, But its free.

The Hotel shuttle takes you to the OC at 6:30. 1st day consisted of your drug test and filling out paper work, along with the skills test and road test.

The skills test looked pretty easy. it is a horse shoe shaped course with 2 right turns. It is tight!!! to do it right you need to take it slow. Dont be afraid to G.O.A.L. MTC WANTS TO SEE YOU DO THIS!!!! after the 2 right turns you pull up and do a str8 back. Pretty easy with plenty of room. the a 45 degree back. again not much of a problem, Just dont be afraid or to proud to take your time and get out and look. If you hit a tire or cone you are on your way back home.

After that was a road test. We were using a Peterbilt with 13 speed trany. The didnt have us split the gears. If you havent driven a 13 spd I recommend do a youtube search and check it out. The biggest difference that saw ove a 10spd that I learned on was.. that you dont use Low gear. 1st gear is where 2nd is on a 10. and when you go to higher gears from fourth you go the 5th. where 7th would be on a 10spd. Pretty easy to do. But def check out the shifting pattern if you have never driven a 13spd.

After that was lunch on MTC, they took us to a Chinese buffet,

From then it paper work. I-9s insurence pay options and so on.

May does have a nice $90 a day flat pay for your first 90 days. What happens is no matter how many or few miles you drive, you get $90 a day while on working status. At the end of 90 days and you may have driven more that $90 a day milage wise. May will pay you for the milage driven in a single "Bonus" pay.

That was pretty much it for day 1. I will update for day to. Should be with a trainer Thursday or Friday. I will keep you posted.

jomar68 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Sounds like a good gig. Best of luck to you. And, thank you for your service. It means a lot to us, believe me.

Pete

4. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    is the skills test for students only or for all that attend?

5. wyndup

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    I am not sure. There are 6 of us here and we are all new drivers.

6. wyndup

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    Thank you,
    All of us who have served in the Armed Forces apprectiate hearing that America supports them.

7. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    Hmmm if it is for all drivers that is a first for me as far as seeing a company that does a skills test. seems kinda nerve racking to me honestly but its also been awhile since ive had to back a 53 ft trailer into a tight spot. been used to a nice 48' spread flatbed lately

8. wyndup

Jul 25, 2012
    Pine Valley, CA
    Nerve racking Hell Yes, Esp when getting a job depends on it. I know most of the companies that train new drivers are doing skills test and road test prior to hiring Student drivers.

9. Blue02celi

Blue02celi Road Train Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    skills test is for everyone... if a student can pass it you shouldn't have a problem :)
    I just started with this company im with now about a month ago, experienced drivers only, and we all had to do a skills test and road test. would think most companies at least see what you can do in a parking lot even if they dont take you on the road, experienced or not

10. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    Yes, when I went local 2 years exp was required. I did backing and drive test.

11. bigdogpile

bigdogpile Road Train Member

May 16, 2010
    fontana ca
    90 dollars a day is not good money...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.