May Tomorrow

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by kw19791, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Thawed Out

Thawed Out Bobtail Member

May 23, 2009
    Payette, ID
    As a now former driver for May, Hometime is okay if you are willing to wait for it... for Western 11 (Dryvan) division, they usually do either 2 week or 3 week turnarounds with 2 days or 3 days off respectively, and 48 state side (reefer) they like 3 or 4 week stints with 3 or 4 days off (one day off per week on the road)...

The driver managers are generally okay, but be wary of the night and weekend crew, as they are the next thing to useless..

Miles on the reefer side have been good (I avg'd 2750-3300 per week for last 4 months, but had been hearing that Dry side was a bit short, with even O/O's sitting for a day or three waiting on a load.. biggest prob on that that I see is they have their contracts, and when those are running short of loads, they only rely on a single broker to fill in the gaps, so if everything is slow, you can expect to sit for a while..

learn to watch your idle time, as they will bill you for excess time (winter is 10% IT< and summer is 25%) and another word to the wise, don't assume anything will be provided to you.. you have to go and ask for EVERYTHING... first chain up, and I discovered no bungies!! brand new truck (180 miles on it) they had new chains, but nobody got bungies... then got the nine yards from breakdown that I was supposed to go into the shop and ask for them :(

And routing is a must follow... even if you know u can get around bad weather and such they will tell u not to deviate at all...

I have other opinions, but some of those can be rather brutal and are probably personally tainted (and every1 always has horror stories from the places they've worked), so I'll keep my mouth shut on those.

Nutshell... MTC is a decent company for starting out and getting your feet wet..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    What happened if you dont me asking?

KH

4. Thawed Out

Thawed Out Bobtail Member

May 23, 2009
    Payette, ID
    I made a mistake that wound up ruining a load... and I don't begrudge the company for my termination, just that the manner in which it was performed may hinder my career...

I slammed on the brakes to avoid an accident that would have involved 4 trucks (including an oversize carrying windmill component) and a four wheeler. They put it down as an accident, tho it was not... no other vehicles or property involved... truck never left roadway, nor did I lose control.. just a very hard, sudden braking action that wound up shifting a fragile load.. in no way would it be considered an accident by any agency in the US, including even California Highway Patrol... but my guess is that if the company calls it an accident, then that does 2 things... absolves them in the customer's eyes, and the money can be written off in a different manner...

I was very aggravated when the Terminal Manager suggested that if I allowed one of the other trucks to hit me, it would have been their fault, and nothing more would have been said of the matter... So what I got for saving the truck, and several lives, was to be terminated and have that go on my DAC... :(

5. pjw044

pjw044 Heavy Load Member

Driver IS always wrong-no matter what.......................

6. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    That sucks TO, everybody has had to slam on there brakes at one time to avoid an accident. Better the cargo get damaged then to hurt someone. Companies forget sometimes that people drive these trucks. People with families that want us to come home un-hurt. Cargo should never be more important then human life.

7. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    I worked their 48 reefer fleet from '02 to '05. Not a bad company. Lots of miles and easy hometime if you lived in Oregon (I lived in Cali but kept my trusty Vanagon at the Brooks terminal to enjoy the Oregon coast- Good times!). If Marvin May gave a #### he would upgrade the drivers facilities and stop charging for idle time. The only other negative was nursery loads: PITA!!!!

Get to know Greg (Payette Manager) and you'll be ok. Helluva nice guy to deal with.

8. Kabar

Kabar Road Train Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Pell City Al
    Greg is a company man, A little weasel who will forget who you are the minuet you walk out the door. He hates drivers who stand up to the company and won't take #### from him or the company.

9. JChors

JChors Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Newport, OR
    Never had a problem with Greg. Although I let him know it when I was unhappy about a May policy, I was polite about it. And he, in turn, was receptive to my concerns. Sorry to hear you don't get along with him.

10. Bigray

Bigray Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Thawed out : that is nothing more than a load shift, that will not be hard to explain.

11. rednek

rednek Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2009
    mesa az
    Hey jedi do you know when the next orentation in phx is

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.