May Trucking Miles

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by nredfor88, Nov 22, 2019.

1. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’m considering joining May. Do they have miles for drivers that want to run?

I’m a new CDL and this would be my first OTR job. I would run 48.

Assuming I trip plan well, communicate well, and use my driving hours to my best advantage, either running recaps or resets as needed. How many hours are possibly? My goal is to hit the 9,000 or 10,000 mile per month bonuses.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I worked for May for almost 3 years. You will easily get 10000 miles if you want to run. Lowest I had was 8000ish in a month the most was 12000ish. They have this flat rate thingy that doesnt pay enough once you get experienced..I was always on miles which I hear they no longer offer to new drivers.
    Pros: long runs many are 1500 miles plus
    Newer trucks
    Most office staff and mechanics are nice folks
    You will run a lot of western runs, much easier driving than northeast and east
    They always got me home on time

Cons SLOW trucks governed at 61mph
    Pay is LOW
    No bells and whistles with May just deliver the freight on time hardly any bonuses offered at all
    LOTS of winter and mountain driving

Overall May is a good place to start and sounds like a good fit for you if you want to run almost all 48. You will run a lot of the northwest and gain true OTR experience. After a year or so unless you train find greener pastures..too many companies out there that will pay you much more for your experience..Good Luck!!

4. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Thanks for the info smokey12.

I've read everything I could find on them, and I agree 61 is slow, but I'll look at the half full part of the glass and say to myself that speed it will keep me out of trouble. lol.

I was talking to the recruiter and looking at their pamphlet handout that I got at school with a pay example. .38 cpm + productivity (cpm over base miles) + safety bonus, with the base cpm paid weekly, and bonuses added monthly. Productivity bonus paid for miles over the base amount, and safety bonuses of .03 cpm at 8000 miles, .04 at 9000, and .05 at 10000.

It seems with the safety bonus I could make more than a couple of the other carriers that I was looking at, assuming I get them and the miles. Then if it's a slow week, I would still get the 115 per day if I'm available to run. So it seems to come down to the miles. Hopefully I'm seeing this clearly. I think this pay structure is fairly new.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  5. Saltyoldone

Saltyoldone Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2019
    Boise
    You are correct with the pay scale. If you drive 10000+ you will make around $4300 a month. If you drive 8000 miles you will get $3100. that is paid at $115 a day and the rest is paid the second week of the following month.

I drove for them from April to September of this year. I had no problem with the people or the company. If you deliver on time and communicate they will let you drive. I had over 10000 miles 4 months in a row.

I quit because after 5 months of driving 10 on 10 off (you are expected to sleep at the dock you’ll be an expert of the 8-2 split) with no time off I asked for 8 days at home and was told I could take days off when I had my own authority. MTC would rather you work 27 days and take 3 off.
    Good luck

Need4Speed, loudtom and nredfor88 Thank this.
  6. jdimes

jdimes Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2011
    somewhere, usa
    Man that’s awful low pay I understand you want to get experience, also keep in mind with winter coming up and in some parts of the country already seeing bad weather will affect your miles.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  7. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Thanks for sharing recent experience. Home time is not important to me. Really it would only be to water plants and see if the desperados down the street stole my stuff or not.

Good heads up on the 10 at the dock. I'm okay with that, as I will be cooking most of my own food -- I'm big healthy chow.

8. nredfor88

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Yeah, I guess after a year I can re-evaluate and change up if need be. But for now, I'm thinking May is on the high side of offers I've had. One was higher, but something about May has me interested more than the other companies. I'm also fortunate that money is not the highest on my priority stack of things I'm looking for in a company. I'm mostly concerned with making sure its a fair deal and good place to do my miles.

9. TankInOut

TankInOut Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2019

10. TankInOut

TankInOut Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2019
    They run serious mountains mostly. Could careless if the weather is bad

11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

Eventually you learn em all. No worries. If you are the sort who likes mountain work.

61 is just too slow.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.