Maybe working for werner after cdl graduation.

Discussion in 'Werner' started by d1rtysouth36, Jan 14, 2010.

1. d1rtysouth36

d1rtysouth36 Bobtail Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Jupiter, Florida
    I am look to work for werner because they are a starter company, i heard good and bad about the company but to be honest, I just want to travel the country and get paid decent for it. At the same time I dont want my life being a living hell SO:

1. Does any current werner drivers have pics of inside the standard werner truck? "####pit, sleeper and all" just so I can get a look at the living conditions?

2. Is Werner's per and rider polict legit?

3. Does anyone reccomend a werner trainer? Dont want to get stuck with a crap shoot of a trainer that will treat you like crap.

4.any do's , dont's , advice , and more would be appreciated.

fyi, im taking my cdl coarse with the cdl school in florida "google cdl school" if this helps anything.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Belton Bandit

Belton Bandit Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Belton,Texas

beagleboy1968 Thanks this.
  4. LavenderTrucker

LavenderTrucker Medium Load Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Omaha,NE
    Okay... I still don't understand how it is that drivers say they have to go days without showering... Even when we were running as a team I still managed to get my showers in... There were times when we were pressed so I would grab a quick shower and eat in the truck....

I may have missed a shower here and there.. but I never went more than one day without one....

5. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    Me neither. My first trainer tried to tell me that bs. He would tell me there will be times ill go a week without a shower. There were times I took a shower in the mourning b4 I left and sometimes b4 I went to sleep. But I showered every day.:biggrin_25526:

6. CertifiedSweetie

CertifiedSweetie Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Pittsburgh,Pa
    As far #1 i dont have any pics but I had 6 trucks and they all just about are the same except I think the KW was small to me .
    2. I assume you mean pet policy I think. They have a pet policy. They require I think its $300 but I know whatever it is its non refunable. You can have a rider you have to pay insurance out of your pay check. I believe its about $30 or less.
    3.My 3rd trainer was excellent but he has a student already but if you do get a crappy trainer say something asap to your student manager or safety asap.
    4.Like I said if you have a problem with your trainer that cant be resolved between the two of you then speak to safety. As long as you have a valid point tell them what you want or would like and they try to to make the situation comfortable for you.

Hope that helps a litlle at least.

7. joeschmo111

joeschmo111 Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 word, DONT. Dont say I didnt try and tell ya. I worked for them for a substantialamount of time and was succesful and ugh..some what happy, happy enough.All the while I saw what they were doin to other drivers; am not ignorant. But, I was gettin good miles makin money, well guess what? I was loyal to them and ran my but off, was Very dedicated, and they screwed me in the end and still are. This company has a "revolving door" with students and drivers goin in and out if it constantly. Why is werner constantly filling the classrooms, no other carrier is doing it at the caliber werner is. Last I heard, schneider is only hiring experienced drivers with very few exceptions(not fillin the classrooms every week)They are running a business off of tax breaks and government funding/kickbacks that are given to them because of their training program, ugh can someone say human trafficing?This comes straight off the home page of this site- 11000 jobs in the trucking industry were lost in sep-oct 09 and 7500 of them in oct.And growing. Werner could not avoid bank rupcy if they fire to rehire, they could not stay in business if they kept experienced drivers, paid them a decent wage(not 25/26cpm) and gave raises. Why do that when you're getting money for training? If you go to work for this company, you will be treated like a "warm body"(crap) and your rights will probably be violated,youll be lucky if they are not.if these companies can reduce their labor costs, that is a direct reduction in overhead, which increases their bottom line. I agree that it should be best to keep a consistent work force, but the way these carriers turn people through the door[more like arevolving door], money gotten from the Feds has to help their bottom line. It is almost like they have FREE labor during the training period.So if you want to go to work for some crooks go right ahead.And chances are your life will be a living hell, of course its what you make of it but noone deserves to put up with werner, or have to make the best of it. Because thats all you can do. Trust me, i'm not just some rookie who worked there for a few months and had a bad experience, Werner=BAD NEWS, for real.

8. 2LuvaHardMan

2LuvaHardMan Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2010
    SHOWER!! Make your trainer do it too or get a new one. There is no excuse for not washing a smelly person daily.

9. Belton Bandit

Belton Bandit Light Load Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Belton,Texas
    The weather was really bad out west, snow and ice, lot of drivers shutting down. We were picking up late loads. Just no time to shower. Did eat on the road though. Guess that's an advantage of male drivers, not as concerned with a shower.

10. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    I had a really good trainer my last time with Werner who was outta Florida. Goofy bugger named Ricky. Never did ge his last name, but he was a excellent trainer. Could not only park a full 18-wheeler in a dock built for little box trucks, he could also teach you how to do the same thing. And the ability to teach is absolutely critical in a trainer. A sad but true fact is that just because you're good at your job doesn't necessarily mean that you would make a good teacher. Being able to teach is an entirely seperate skill.

A word of warning if you are lucky enough to get Ricky as your trainer. If you wind up rolling through Florida, and have some extra time, you will get to go to the foam forming factory Ricky used to work at before he became a truck driver, which is cool. The uncool part is that they have an untamed wild alligator on the grounds as a "pet". And Ricky failed to warn me about this pet, since I was still sleeping when we got there. He thought it was funny! Bloody idiot. Still and all, a good trainer, and a good guy.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.