MBI Water transfer

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by EleventySeven, Dec 10, 2015.

1. EleventySeven

EleventySeven Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi everyone, I haven't really posted a lot on here but I wanted to get some outside opinions from people that have been in the industry. I've got my Class B with x endorsement and currently drive a vac truck for Heritage Environmental in Indianapolis. I've only had my cdl for about 4 months, but have been driving since April. I recently applied to MBI in North Dakota for a hot oil position and instead they interviewed me for a water transfer position out of Killdeer. They offered me $20/hr with a $400 safety bonus every month.21 on 7 off. He said they're still averaging around 55-60hrs a wk and as of late have been getting around 80. I know that the oilfields have slowed considerably, but I'm just wondering if that's a good deal or are they getting one over on me? Considering I'd be over 18hrs away from family, it's a rather big decision. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Haystak88

Haystak88 Light Load Member

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    I realize it's ND and it sucks, but in this day and age to be offered $20 to haul water and it being your first oilfield job, I say go for it. Even if it gets worse out there and you get laid off, at least you will have some oilfield experience. With those type of hours and that pay, think of how much $ you could make in a short time. That overtime adds up real quick. MBI is fine, people talk crap about every company on this forum. Go for it and don't look back is my advice. Keep us updated!

4. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    I guess I read your post wrong, you said water transfer, not water hauler. So the job is what? Working at a disposal facility? Like an attendant? Those jobs are pretty easy from what I've seen. Attendants typically stand around and tell drivers what lane to go in. Ensuring things work smoothly and pumps and stuff are working properly. Is that what they said you would be doing or am I totally off?

5. EleventySeven

Jul 19, 2013
    The way he explained it was that I'd basically be running lay flat hose to a water source and plumbing all the frac tanks and pumps together etc. It's a non driving position and because I have a cdl they bumped pay to 20. They charge 450 a month to provide housing. He said it's not in a man camp. So basically if you have a safe month you broke even on housing.

6. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Killdeer is a crap hole town with a 4 block main street, nothing to do, no place to go. Be very sure you want to be in a place like that

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. Haystak88

Aug 16, 2012
    FL
    Oh, that's a whole other situation sir. You will be outside all day, obviously, in the freezing cold. Working with frac tanks can be a real pain in the ###. The hoses or manifolds as they are sometimes called that attach each tank are a royal pain in the ### to work with, most of the time. Frac tank haulers are typically assigned a swamper (laborer) to ride with them and do the connecting for them as the drivers typically won't do it. I would imagine in the dead of winter all the hoses are frozen and packed full of snow and ice. Basically you will be a frac tank laborer. Yes, you are getting oilfield experience. Also, MBI has jobs in every part of the oilfield, so once it picks up again you will most likely be able to transfer to any division you want. I still think it's a good deal, a way to make really good money and giving you a ton of opportunity down the road. Just be prepared to freeze and work.

8. EleventySeven

Jul 19, 2013
    I'very been looking at it from the experience side of things, and though it does seem like the pay is on the low end of the spectrum (especially for being up north) I feel it affords better opportunities down the road even if a big sacrifice is to be made. However I am expecting a son in March and only being home for 1wk a month would leave my girlfriend in a not so desirable position, so there's a lot of pros and cons. It's a means to an end is how I see it though.

9. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    Realistically you won't get much over 20/hr right now anywhere up there, so don't worry about the pay being low

10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    You're in Indy? Come over to Ohio and work in the Utica someplace. But this season is not typically a good time to get into the oilfield, and if you do get in to a non-driving position, chances are you won't make $20/hour at it. Though, it's a lot closer to home and the climate is more hospitable.

11. EleventySeven

Jul 19, 2013
    Are there companies that provide housing and rotations out of Ohio or is it mostly a locals only kind of thing?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.