Mcelroy / Keim / TMC

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jlpreach, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jlpreach

jlpreach Bobtail Member

Dec 22, 2013
    Jackson County AL
    I live in extreme northeast Alabama. Both Mcelroy and Keim have terminals within 30-40 miles of my home. I should be ready to began driving in mid-January. Its pretty much a must for me to be home Sat-Sun...mainly all day Sunday till 8pm. I need to make at least $400-$800 weekly

Any advice on which to go with?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. streetglider

streetglider Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Alabama
    Everything I have researched and read on McElroy they want you to be at your delivery point early enough on Monday morning to have a full days hours available after offload in that morning. So depending on where you will be delivering you may have to leave earlier in the day on Sundays I'm sure you will recieve a lot of advice here.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Keim looks really good, but doesn't have anything on the website about weekends home. Maybe they will accomodate you, better call.

Maverick & McElroy are the only two that have a weekend home program and advertise it.

Decker Truck Line just built a new terminal in Bessemer with a Southeast Regional option, but don't know about weekends off. Maybe give them a call.

5. Drivers girl

Drivers girl Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Ky
    Boyd has a terminal in Birmingham. My bf has been with them for 2 1/2mths and has only missed 1 weekend home. His smallest checks were the $500 a week during training. You might check into them.

6. White Dog

White Dog Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Iowa
    Well....then my advice would be to stay out of trucking.
    See.....even the companies that say "Our Drivers Are Home Every Weekend"---can not 100% guarantee that. Trucking is FAR too unpredictable, ANYTHING can (and will) happen.

jlpreach Thanks this.
  7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Find a local job.

jlpreach Thanks this.
  8. Jumbo

Jumbo Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Appleton, Wisconsin
    These are all bad trucking companies?

jlpreach Thanks this.
  9. cc tanker

cc tanker Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Ohio
    dont sound like trucking is gonna be your best career choice..

10. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Granted, I'm a long way from your area, but I hit your home time requirements with TMC every week unless I chose to do otherwise.

jlpreach Thanks this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    The "guaranteed" home time every weekend is not going to be realistic anywhere you go unless you can work yourself into some sort of dedicated situation. They all have pretty good weekend hometime systems but you're going to have to expect not to be home until Saturday mornings sometime, and needing to leave earlier then 20:00 Sunday night sometimes. How often that sometimes is is hard to say, but you can't depend on it with anything critical IMO.

jlpreach Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.