McIntosh car audio

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Maj. Jackhole, Jun 17, 2018.

1. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    I remember when those came out and Car Audio & Electronics magazine was absolutely drooling all over em'.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    And I thought an AM/FM/FM-stereo with WONDERBAR electric search tuning was still the cats meow.

C8F6AF37-6CA8-42F2-8A26-B5F4E496ED1D.jpeg

The guys at Imperial (separate make back then) had it figured out. None of this GM-gotta-take-a-hand-off-the-wheel-stuff. No sir. A second button next to the high beam floor button.

You guys DO remember changing from low to high beam with the foot button, right?

Could be pretty funny when Grandad wanted to hit the high beams but we got switched over from Mantovani on one station to The Doors playing, “The WASP — Texas Radio & The Big Beat” on another.

Hard to ruffle my Grandad. I’m not positive, but I coulda heard a cuss word, though I AM dead positive no one laughed out loud.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    alds Thanks this.
  4. CaptainBaggy

CaptainBaggy Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Which Arc amp were you referring too? They had several. The 850.5, 1100.5 etc. Also, what about it did you find impressive? I am looking for ultra low distortion / SNR. Or were you commenting towards just brute power?

5. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    Man that was 15 years ago. Never should have sold it. It was whatever the big one was at that time. The SNR was really good and it would pound.

Read the specs on the new ones as all I can say.

Nothing was ever as warm as my McIntosh stuff though.

6. CaptainBaggy

CaptainBaggy Bobtail Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Got it, so circa 2003-2005 ish.
    I have a Mcintosh 431M, used it for a while and really enjoy it. Just on a shelf right now. I also have a Butler Tube 575, that thing is awesome. THD is very low, nice warm sound. Not as well known but highly recommend those.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.