MCP200 Qualcomm vs GPS?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by pdizzle, Apr 16, 2012.

1. pdizzle

pdizzle Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I have one of these qualcomms set up in my truck. I don't have a log in for it yet so haven't had a chance to check out the navigation on it. Does it work ok or does the screen stay blue when the truck is in motion? Should I just spend my own money on the rand mcnally or something?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    You wanna get a backup for sure. The qc gps isn't all that good, and it likes to crash on you right when you need it most. But, it is a truck gps that will for the most part keep you on the truck routes, and off of restricted roads.

4. Aztech

Aztech Light Load Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Townsend, DE
    The QC GPS is extremely slow. And its frustrating to navigate/look around the map. However it does not turn blue while moving.

If im not sure what the best route to take is, ill put the info in the QC GPS, and write down the directions from the itinerary. Then use my paper map and google maps.

Are you looking for turn-to-turn guidance, or do you just want the directions and to see the map to where your going?

5. nckid

nckid Light Load Member

Nov 11, 2008
    williamsburg,va
    I have had my truck qcomm go down and routed me around in a circle once in nj be fore i figured out it was messing up and has locked up twice but I've learned to work it pretty good and can see my turns when zoomed out on "nav screen" but it will not at times send you the way the company directions want you routed.always write your directions down(company) and look at your map and set your fuel stop first if there is one because sometimes the fuel stop won't be on qcomm gps route.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  6. mgt1085

mgt1085 Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2009
    west palm beach,fl
    dont know about the qualcom but my navigo is ok hasnt gone down yet i check against my map book and gps and for the most part its spot on but nothing beats a good map book and directions from shipper and con

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.