Medical leave

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by Gin86, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Gin86

Gin86 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Huntsville, AL
    Has anyone had experience with medical leave with these people? I found out today that I'll be needing surgery in a few weeks, but going 3-4 weeks without pay is going to hurt us badly. I figured asking here would give me more insight on it than their benefits booklet. Thanks for any info yall can give.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
  4. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Does the company have short term and long term medical insurance. I have been off 5 times over the past two decades for repair surgeries. Just file the paperwork and come back to work when you are healed. I average 3 months each stretch and try and plan them for the summer:D
    Each time I come back to my same run with all my seniority intact.

5. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    That question is best answered by the HR manager at the company.

I have taken 30 days medical leave and never had a problem getting back on a truck. But after 30 days, They said it would be considered a new hire and they would have to process my application from scratch. Maternity leave is different...90 days for dropping a baby and keeping your job.

Having heart surgery.....go find a new career!

SingingWolf Thanks this.
  6. Lab work

Lab work Medium Load Member

Apr 20, 2018
    USA
    What people?

7. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    gonna take a wild guess and say Schneider.

SingingWolf, JOHNQPUBLIC and Gin86 Thank this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There is a federal law called the Family and Medical Leave Act. You are supposed to let your employer know 30 days in advance of you first day off or asap in an emergency situation.
    What Are the FMLA Requirements?
    A:
    QUICK ANSWER
    The Family and Medical Leave Act requires employers to provide unpaid leave and continuous health insurance coverage to employees who meet certain criteria. Eligible employees are guaranteed up to 12 weeks of leave in a one-year period to care for a newborn or a newly adopted or fostered child. However, the leave must begin within one year of the birth or placement.
    FULL ANSWER
    The employee can also request up to 12 weeks of leave for a personal health condition that interferes with job functions or to act as a caregiver for a spouse, parent or child with a serious condition. In special cases, employees qualify for leave for an urgent situation involving an active service member in the immediate family. Employers must allow up to 26 weeks of military caregiver leave within a one-year period for employees who need to care for a child, spouse or parent who is a service member.

Eligible employees must have worked 1,250 hours for a covered employer during the one-year period preceding the leave. They must also have completed at least 12 months of employment with the current employer. Businesses with at least 50 employees within a 75-mile radius are subject to this law, but they are not required to compensate employees during this time. While people with medical issues are allowed to break up their leave period, they are expected to make an effort to avoid scheduling conflicts whenever possible.

cybill234 and DustyRoad Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ha. Boss sent 12 state polices hunting me once when I got sick two days. The third I headed for home on instinct. Was in surgery at sunrise for appendix removal.

Doc said no work 6 weeks.

Boss had me slinging butter for Hunts out of SW Baltimore Country Crock in three.

Ive been carted to ER and traumas for impacts, falls, slips, whoops and sometimes mountain sickness even though Ive run the rockies 6 months on ice. They patch me up, jab something non narcotic in and kick me loose to finish driving that day.

The worst was a overhot coffee inside a King of Prussia Mall Food Court. Ive been burned before vs a harley pipe on that hand. There was a trauma nurse that the coffee spilled onto her fur coat. (McDonalds second floor above the circular stairs.)

I could not hardly shift for two days with that hand. And was really worried about it. Had a gallon of Bactine and a bunch of other lances and iodines etc all lined up and ready.

That was pretty much the end of those stupid tall overhot coffees from Mcdees for a very long time.

Jazz1 Thanks this.
  10. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    My doc would let me take 3 months off for appendix. I told last surgeon “ I haul anvils!”
    Everyone pays into these plans, someone has to reap the rewards:D

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.