Melton Truck Lines

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by cnjrollin, Oct 15, 2007.

1. LJT

LJT Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    FRANKLIN KY
    no thats not us

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slodsm

slodsm Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Tyler TX

I wouldn't call you a liar so don't take it that way, but there is more to the story. I think maybe you guys had the same problem as CNJ as in a prick of a DM or something.

I just had to turn down a load because I didn't have the hours to make it so I swapped with another guy 9 hours later for another 1000 mile load that delivered one day later so I would have the hours to make it. My DM is a #### good lady who I run hard for so when I am out, I am out and she takes care of it no questions asked.

I really believe that some of the problems people have had are simply problems they would have had elsewhere with the same people in charge. Some DM's simply don't understand the industry and others do. Either that or it was a habitual out of hours situation due to poor time management and they just grew tired of it. Either way, I don't doubt the story at all, just think there are more circumstances.

4. LJT

LJT Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    FRANKLIN KY
    im glad you have had such a great experience with them so far, if you dont mind me asking how long have you been with them an who's your dm?

5. cnjrollin

cnjrollin Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Mesquite, TX
    I would say it's "Mama Sue" the 30+ year melton dispatcher. I think it's basically the load planners put the pressure on the DMs to get the drivers rolling to get or delv the freight. ..and the DMs put the pressure on the drivers as well. I guess some drivers do poor time management...but when your DM puts a load on you before you're out the gate at your last drop and the new load should've picked up 3 hours ago...that's just bad management on their part period. Melton dispatchers have these little percentage dials on their desks...with a little hand on them like a clock...it basically lets everyone know what that fleets on-time percentage is for that month. They get evaluated just like the drivers...and they want to move as much freight and get as much on-time as they can. It's even been debated whether or not certain DMs receive bonuses and percentages based on the freight they move within their fleet...in addition to their regular pay. If this is true it could be the reason why so much of their freight is poorly dispatched, and poorly booked all tgoether...resulting in drivers having to repower or being late for deliveries and pickups. I'm just saying it's possible!

Most drivers never send in their hours of service macro - and even on your empty call where you put available driving hours remaining...I think it all gets ignored. Those mac 63s are pointless - all the freight is dispatched based on your location and your DM could carel ess about how many hours you have left. They will repower, and cut that load up to serve the customer (which is great for the customer) but crappy for the driver. I mean a 1500 mile dispatch is a good run, but if you don't have the hours to deliver...they'll still tell you to go pick it up and have you repowered - so that 1500 mile dispatch turns into a 300 mile run and you will probably even have to tarp and untarp for the repower. So all in all, crappy load planning and crappy dispatching makes it hard for the driver. Melton dispatches tight and does not abide by the 55 MPH dispatch rule...they turned their trucks down and did not makeup for it by allowing driver more time to deliver or pickup. So many drivers fear safety because their log books are extremely questionable. Safety wants you running safely, the DMs want to meet their quotas, and the load planners are just trying to move freight....meanwhile the drivers are trying to figure out how to pickup and deliver...get a few hours of sleep...and if possible squeeze a meal and shower in. All this is usually done on their 10 hour break...so that makes it difficult. But, I guess that's truckin!?

6. slodsm

slodsm Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Tyler TX

I haven't been working for them very long, and my dispatcher is the lady from fleet 17 whos name I can't pronounce, I just call her ma'am :).

It's just where I came from (Conway Truckload) that Meltons dispatches are slow compared to what I am used to. I don't mind being pushed to the minute as long as the push is legal because I am not a log book BS'r. I came from aviation and I am a qualified QAR on multiple systems so I don't look at trucking as a last resort so to speak, I look at it as something I really enjoy but I can always go back to what I did before, make more money, but just hate my job lol. Because of that, running illegal when it's my responsibility to pay the fines simply won't happen.

That being said, Conway dispatched you 2mph under the legal speed limit everywhere you went when you run teams with them (which is what I did) so I am used to have a 2500 mile load planned to the minute to where one driver will run in and shower while the other fuels and then switch the next time around. I consider the 50-55 mph dispatches a nice roll because I am a left door closed kinda guy. I stop for fuel and the LCTC's and that is it so I have no problems making the tight runs.

I know they have their problems too and things are far from perfect but they are just a good fit for me and I have a good DM so it makes it easier on me.

The only bad thing is once again, I just got an offer from Exxon Mobil making a complete butt ton of money and I don't like being a job hopper (kept my old job before Conway 12 years) but ####, I would love to see my daughter more. I will just have to feel this out and decide what I am going to do.

7. LJT

LJT Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2008
    FRANKLIN KY
    well all comp tell drivers what they want to hear ,but you dont really know until u try it for your self and you cant always go by what of former drivers say.oh an by the way your dm is sue blackman, she wasnt our dm i cant even remember what fleet we were in . but any how i could tell you some many bad stories but im not sure you have heard alot of them.one thing we have learned when you go to work for a big comp or a comp like melton,your no longer a human you dont requrier sleep,food or showers,an thats how your treated its sad but true.wish you the best of luck.

8. cnjrollin

cnjrollin Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Mesquite, TX
    I dont think his DM was Sue - think he was saying it was somebody else. Yeh with the bigger companies you're just a number for sure. We went to another company and they have like 4 melton drivers that came over there within the last few months. Yeh, its all trial and error. Another of our friends is still in a legal process with melton over some wrongful termination issues....these claims seem to be quite popular against them here lately. Glad to be away from them and all the b.s. - don't miss the small trucks and don't miss the lack of sleep from running too many tight loads. They're a company like any other -- ups and downs.

9. slodsm

slodsm Light Load Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Tyler TX
    Yep, some companies have the wrong ups and downs for some and the right for others.

I am still enjoying myself here and making enough money to make me keep going. My DM isn't Sue, I can't pronounce her name much less spell it but so far so good.

10. onionbuster

onionbuster Bobtail Member

Jul 24, 2008
    California
    Hey cnjrollin I tried to get onto your home page and all I got was spam. (It's probably operators error). I'm interested in Melton but need some inside info. Thanks

11. WiseOne

WiseOne Inactive contact bullhaulerswife

Feb 8, 2004
    Truckers Report, TN
    No worries, OnionBuster, we have removed his site AND now I hacked it out to where NO ONE can see anyone's site (from drop down, or member profile), etc...they can still put it in their profile, but I have it hacked where they will NOT show ANYWHERE on this site now due to this "spam." As the saying goes, he ruined it for all now. Tired of it.

cnjrollin, IF I see you posting you advertising/soliciting again for your site, I will ban you. Mods, please keep and eye on this, thanks!

The Challenger and Brickman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.