MF 11 fan clutch intermittent

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by joejffrs, Jul 15, 2019.

1. joejffrs

joejffrs Light Load Member

Jul 24, 2018
    San Diego
    2013 MF 11 fan clutch engages slightly for a couple minutes with coolant temp just around 180. With PTO engaged at steady 1300 rpm, the fan clutch will partially engage/disengage every couple minutes/temp at 170.
    Yesterday, i got a SPN 4710/15 code-ECT2 sensor above programmable limit. Had it before, upside down triangle on dash, but just "warm engine" on instrument cluster and loss of power. This time, it then went to "stop engine" on cluster with steady beeping/flashing. The coolant temp was around 210 and the fan clutch did not kick in at all. Pulled over, idled a couple minutes, on my way, no problems. Coolant level perfect, The fan clutch also just slammed into full engagement just around 200 degrees-never did that before, it normally ramps up to full engagement.
    Should the fan clutch be programmed or is there another sensor that tells it to kick in? New fan clutch was installed about a year ago, New ECT2 sensor. Is it normal for the fan clutch to lightly engage anytime thru the coolant temp range? Nothing would surprise me about this engine.
    Thanks for any ideas.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Depends what type of fan clutch you have. There are regular on/off types, and then there are "variable" ones that will come on at weird times. For sure, your next step is to check into the temp issue. There are two separate coolant temp sensors. Coolant temp 1 is mainly the head and engine block and also what the gauge uses, coolant temp 2 is used mainly for the egr stuff and you need Service Maxx to read it. So that could be faulty or actually over heating to cause your issues.

joejffrs Thanks this.
  4. joejffrs

Jul 24, 2018
    San Diego
    Thanks Heavy D. When the “stop engine” alarm happened, the temp was not above 210 and the clutch fan had not yet engaged. What temp is considered overheating? Hoping with Service Maxx max temp on ECT2 can be increased to stop alarms cuz it doesn’t seem (to me at least) that the engine is overheating.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Over heating begins at 220. Codes are logged at 232 degrees for ECT1. Yes, ECT2 warning limit is a changeable parameter 77212. I have actually never done this to give you any more details. If ECT2 is getting too hot, you are probably looking a failed coolant control valve.

joejffrs Thanks this.
  6. joejffrs

Jul 24, 2018
    San Diego
    Hey Heavy D-can you run my vin-DJ349156. Not sure if ECM is up to date. Coolers/egr replaced recently, probably no documentation. Thanks

7. joejffrs

Jul 24, 2018
    San Diego
    Wrong vin-DJ349154.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Shows ecm is current.

joejffrs Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.