Michigan drivers!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Trucker_Matt, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Crash935

Crash935 Medium Load Member

Sep 8, 2007
    Wyoming Mi
    NTB takes students, decent hometime (sometimes every couple days,) assigned a truck but if your on hometime and they need it they will put a driver in it so you may not see it for a few weeks, havent heard the drivers complaining.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jgremlin

jgremlin Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I don't know much about any of those companies. I work for a small mom & pop shop. We've just added a couple of new accounts that are fairly large so we're actively looking for more drivers at the moment. But they require 2 years of experience so that's not going to work for students.

However if anyone else is in SW Michigan and is interested, send me a PM and I'll get you the contact info.

4. Trucker_Matt

Trucker_Matt Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    yeah im from the detroit area.

5. payooper

payooper Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2012
    The CRST you see are drivers with no loads to go anywhere cuz CRST has no freight to move them!!!!

6. CWiLL23

CWiLL23 Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Detroit, Mi
    Payooper, how do u know that about CRST? I mean if they don't have freight then how are they still in business? I don't work for them, but just want to know what facts you have to backup your post.

7. payooper

payooper Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2012
    I'm still working there, D.A. And -DUH- SITTING 5 DAYS!!!!!!!

8. chompi

chompi Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Deland, FL
    Not trying to burst your bubble but those mega-carriers use stuff like regional runs and dedicated runs to get you to sign up with them. Most of the time those runs are reserved for those who have seniority with the company. Not saying it won't happen but I would just take it with a grain of salt. Unless they put it in writing (which is highly unlikely) then I really wouldn't count on it.

With that said, if you are planning on going over the road and spending the time and money to get into this career I would be fully prepared to expect to stay out there ffor 6-8 weeks at a time. When you see those advertisements that say you can make $40g's trucking its those who put in the time out there that are making the money. Doing 7-10 or even 14 day runs isn't going to cut the mustard. Also if you are wanting more home time your dispatcher is going to utilize you for making everyone else's pick ups and deliveries and they give the good miles and runs to those who stay out. Its a big pain in the butt for a dispatcher to arrange home time for a driver so you definitely won't make their favorite list!

There is money to be made out there as long as you go about it right and like I said, are willing to do the time. Also when you do get some seniority you will be able to move up to a dedicated or regional position within the company and be home a little more often.

I would personally strongly recommend you try and find a smaller company and try to avoid the mega-carriers. Your chances of success will be much greater and you will be more apt to be treated like a human being instead of a number. Take the time and do your research. The companies that have the lower turn over rates don't advertise as much and are harder to find. Don't you personally find it strange that a company has to spend millions of dollars in advertising to get YOU to work for THEM?!

Good luck....

Trucker_Matt and TRKRSHONEY Thank this.
  9. Trucker_Matt

Trucker_Matt Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2012
    Downriver, MI
    Thanks chompi, and after a little research and asking around, i think i found just that. Conway-truckload. Me and my buddy from truck driving school are gonna run teams OTR for 6mos-1year. He may jump over to carhauling at united road after he gets 6months experience, and I may jump to intermodal through swift or something. Idk. All i know is its better for me to get some experience under my belt before I waste my time trying to find a LTL route or something like that.

chompi Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.