Michigan Pre Trip

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by codyjtrucks, Feb 28, 2024.

1. codyjtrucks

codyjtrucks Bobtail Member

Jan 2, 2024
    Hi all. Coming up on my road test quite nervous seems a lot to try and remember. My instructor mentioned that there can be a check list that can be used during the pre trip and road test. I was under the impression you couldn't use anything.

Anyone have any insight on this? I feel like it sure would be beneficial to be able to have a check list as long as you know how to perform the required check. Thanks!

austinmike Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Call the driver license office and ask. Obviously use a checklist if you are allowed. Make sure you use the exact words in the CDL manual, not some equivalent. People sometimes fail for not using the exact words the examiner is waiting to hear. You usually don't have to complete every item form front bumper to rear bumper, but you will do in-cab, under hood, and air brake test at a minimum. Exact words.

Review the pre-trip videos on YouTube from truck driving schools.

Flat Earth Trucker and Michelle33 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I'd take the check list anyway. "My instructor told me to always use this checklist."

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Illinois has failed students for using the word "gauge" instead of "indicator" when checking air pressure.

Michelle33 and tscottme Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Which company are you going with?

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    You should know the pretrip inside and out, know all the parts of the truck and explain why they are being checked. Read the manual, read it more and more, practice on the truck you are being trained on, if you fail, then delay your road test until you get it without any help.

Michelle33 and tscottme Thank this.
  8. TurkeyCreekJackJohnson

TurkeyCreekJackJohnson Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2024
    South Western US
    Go to your state dmv website and download the "CDL Manual Supplement " See attached pic.

On the 4th page in section 11M it states...

"You are only required to inspect the items on the CDL Vehicle Inspection checklist. You may use the checklist provided in this section for your test and check off items as you have completed them, but NO additional markings or writing may be placed on this list prior to the test."

Home this helps.

Attached Files:

Michelle33 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.