mikey b's prime experience

Discussion in 'Prime' started by MikeyB., Dec 8, 2011.

1. MikeyB.

MikeyB. Medium Load Member

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    still doing my training to get my cdl. going great so far have about 30ish hrs under my belt so far. we been getting short loads which suck but ohh well better than none at all. have a load going to ohio from north carolina. im excited to go back and get my cdl test over with. been doing my pretrip everyday so far, been practicing a little bit of straight backing up, etc.

GSWx Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nashville Driver

Nashville Driver Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Hey Mikey,

At this point in your training, have you done any backing in the truck stops.....you know like a soft 45 degree, where you have like 50-55 feet between the rows, or will that come later in your training process? Just wondering if this comes during this phase or later when you start your over the road training, after you get your CDL.

4. DragonTamerBrat

DragonTamerBrat Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2011
    From what I can tell, a lot of the instructors wait till you get back to the pad to work on the backing. You might get some time bumping docks or practicing at an empty TS, but it is safer for everyone involved to do the practice on the pad.

MikeyB. Thanks this.
  5. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Except for those walking on the pad lol I miss backing on the pad, there's so much room out there. Wish I had that much now lol

MikeyB. Thanks this.
  6. gatorbaiter

gatorbaiter Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    3rd Rock
    yeah the philly market was fun. Can't believe I slipped it right in. Then tonight nice open space took 3 resets. I am getiing to the point if I think about it I get swrewed up if I just do it I am fine

7. MikeyB.

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    hey everyone. yes i have been practicing backing up now more often. while stop at a truck stop i asked my trainer since he know alot of other instructors " when would backing up come more often for all types of reverse menuvers? ". he said " all depends how quickly psd pick up the basics and get used to the concept. " some people wait until they get back to the pad and practice like crazy. i guess im a lucky one and started on my 6th day out. so basically it is all up to your instructor and where he thinks you are in driving wise.

GSWx Thanks this.
  8. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    You would think that a trainer would be training you from day 1 Backing is probably the hardest for a newbie. You should be getting the practice while with a trainer over the road because in a controlled environment it's easier than a truck stop or shipper/receiver. Any way Good Luck and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Nashville Driver Thanks this.
  9. Nashville Driver

Nashville Driver Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I fully agree with that statement! When I was in school, I thought I had it all figgured out.......then came my first paper plant outside Atlanta. I had to blindside around 3 other trailers getting loaded and the forward room between the dock and where the pavement dropped off into a muddy hole was like 145 feet. Well I finally got in the hole and the the guy comes out and tells me I need to adjust my tandems all the way to the rear before the can load me!!:biggrin_2551:

10. GSWx

GSWx <strong>Doc In The Box</strong>

Aug 13, 2011
    Coastal Alabama.
    Hey MikeyB. Good to hear from you today. Backing up is a "good thing" as Martha Steward would say. I look at it this way: for the first 100 hours of training - learning to go straight, staying within your lane, using air brakes, learning the differences between braking distance with load and unloaded at various speeds etc, should be the main focus.

But what do I know? Anyway, sounds like you are having a great time and doing well on the road. Best to you and ReptiJ.

MikeyB. and DenaliDad Thank this.
  11. MikeyB.

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    thanks gsw. glad to hear from you as well sir. you have a point and so does everyone else. SOME people learn alot slower or just dont have it in them to be a truck driver. NOT EVERYONE. I have done some 45 DEGREE Backing as well as straight backing today so feeling alot more comfortable. will be doing more when delivering to customers and picking up loads as well. drive safe , and keep it rolling.

Cooper09 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.