mikey b's prime experience

Discussion in 'Prime' started by MikeyB., Dec 8, 2011.

1. GSWx

GSWx <strong>Doc In The Box</strong>

Aug 13, 2011
    Coastal Alabama.

Congrats on getting some backing practice. From an old man to a young man when backing :biggrin_25518: (I know - sleeping mode on) never worry about what others may say or the ribbing you may get if you get out of the truck and walk the trailer prior to backing. It's your load, your responsibility and it's your fanny on the line.

I don't know who said it on TTR but it's a quote I kept in my vault of OTR driving tidbits: "Never THINK you can make it, when KNOWING is only a 53' walk." I guess that's 106' if you walk back to the cab. You're off to a great career and many, many adventures. Enjoy the ride and keep us posted.

Mudrunner and MikeyB. Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    It's much safer to learn the basics of driving a trailer (backing) in the semi controlled environment of the training pad than at a truck stop with super Trucker barreling through at 40mph. Idiots out on the road will get in the way on purpose as soon as they see you are practicing. Not so out on the training pad.

MikeyB. Thanks this.
  4. MikeyB.

MikeyB. Medium Load Member

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    yes believe me it was a little nuts. but it made me more alert to keep my eyes movin for various situation

5. da1

da1 Road Train Member

Jun 30, 2011
    SC
    Hey I don't drive 40mph in there any more I do 35 and the only reason why I get in the way is to make sure they don't hit anything...ha...no its better to do backing on the pad as you said I got a lot of backing practice at t/s and customers when I was psd if we had to back the majority of the time I did it

6. MikeyB.

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    not much to update . been sittin around doin absolutely nothing. wont be picking up a load until 7pm monday nigh in tennessee and wont be delivering until 9pm thursday nite in oklahoma. i was at the TA in tennessee and saw a nice prime truck i think it said black kinight. it makes it worthwhile when people take pride in what they do. well ima go spend my quaters at the pool table. good nite everyone

7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Get the hard stuff going forward under control before adding the hard stuff going backward.

MikeyB. Thanks this.
  8. MikeyB.

Nov 21, 2011
    MA
    did my first overnite drive last nite from 9pm to 8am this mornin. me and mr. 5 hour energy got along great lol. stopped about every 2 1/2 hrs or so to stretch. slept all day .overall did great. about to drive again now . later guys and females

9. Nashville Driver

Nashville Driver Medium Load Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Good Job Mikey B! Those first few over nights area killer, but they get better.:yes2557:

MikeyB. Thanks this.
  10. OpenRoadDreamer

OpenRoadDreamer Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Alabama
    O ya they do! lol I remember the first few times. I didnt make it far. Before I finished tnt I could drive all night with one stop. Actually did a couple times 11 hours straight overnight no stops... That was a bad idea in so many ways....

MikeyB. and 123456 Thank this.
  11. ama91761

ama91761 Medium Load Member

Oct 14, 2011
    Hemet, Ca
    Great points everyone. The way Prime does it is they send you our for 100 hours of PSD training to teach you how to drive the truck then come in and practice in a controlled environmentthe backing portion. Not to say if instructor feels that you can practice on the road he won't let you. The CDL test backing portion is done in a controlled environment. Once you have your CDL and you go with trainer for the mileage portion you will have lots of backing practice in real world environment. I could be wrong, but I think that's how it works. If I'm not mistaken that's how they do it at the schools too. I mean the backing portion.

MikeyB. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.