Miles Cut

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Bristol, Jun 25, 2012.

1. shadow8800

shadow8800 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Hi mac...the company is not a bad place to be, so far except for the drop in miles my hubby has been content at Conway. I believe our problem stems from the fact that we are regional right now not otr. We have talked to some other regional drivers and they are having the same low mileage problem. The otr folks we talk to seem to be doing better than regional guys right now. I would guess that your info is pretty accurate if you are going otr... 2200-2800 is probably pretty darn close from what we can gather as well. That is why we are looking in to getting back otr and out of the regional stuff. Good Luck out there and stay safe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Mac just go otr not regional. You wil be fine if I'm right otr trucks get first crack at the loads before regional? Well seems like it. South is bad reg anyway cuz lots otr there

4. shadow8800

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Amen Pete LOL

5. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    Yeah, regional actually get first crack on loads within the region but from what I've talked to in the southern regions that is about 4 loads a day for 20+ trucks. Regional works out fairly well in the NE you just need to remind dispatch to start bumping OTR drivers off loads if they stay in your region and are longer then your assigned so knowing what there are for loads usually is key.

6. shadow8800

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Trying to keep reminding dispatch what they should do is unfortunate but true. I think they should be aware of it themselves but apparently they need to instructed on what the priority should be and they (the dispatchers) also need to have a good relationship with the planners, just my opinion. Be safe all

7. Countyboy

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    Well update is... I have Moxie, the soda not the synonym for energy but all going well so far hoping to unload 17 hrs early tomorrow

8. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Welcome to the conversation Mac. Otr should average north of 2500 per week even though recruiters will say 2500. With your experience, you know the drills, routes, etc. so you should be able to hit the ground running. Good luck, let me know if you have other questions.

9. Roadrealtor

Roadrealtor Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I can't compare pay checks but using miles as the standard, otr should be averaging 2500 or better. Try to stay out a little longer if you are going home as soon as you are allowed to hilite. Hiliting limits miles unless you are on one coast and live on the other. The reason is, they put you on loads heading the right way. That could mean waiting a day. If I am in the midwest, and highlight, it takes 8 days to get home and my miles stink. If I am out west and highlight, the miles are better. You may never hilite, but its a suggestion if you do.

If you are regional, you can expect less but I don't know what the numbers are and I expect some regions are better than others.

If you are otr and falling below the averages, I suggest hiliting to Jopmo and having a sit down with your manager. No yelling, just ask, "what can I do to make it easier for you to get me more miles". If you don't like the answer, put in for a fleet transfer. Those happen at the end of the month so this could be good timing.

I agree, it is a good outfit, I hope it works out for you. Stay safe.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  10. shadow8800

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for your suggestion...right now staying out 4-5 wks averaging in the southern region abt 1400-1800 mi/wk some are less last week was 960 mi and he was not on home time the week before was home and that was 430 mi so you see the trouble...sorry for doing it paycheck wise. Did have a talk with FM ours is in Lancaster not Joplin. Have made several attempts to talk with the FM but she is new to the job and at this point not helpful. Hubby is respectful and non confrontational type so no worries about any yelling lol... but from what he has been told is that this lady is the only FM for the region, Texas area I guess is bad right now. I just don't see it getting any better even after talking so yeah
    When we do get back to OTR I would definitely take the highlighting advice cause that seems like the way to do it... at least when they have to route you home you have some miles on that pay period. :biggrin_25517:

The probability is high that we will switch back to OTR soon, we got the name of a FM that seems to be really helpful and tries her best to keep any promises made, so that sounds like an awesome place to start.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

11. Countyboy

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    NE regional/Canada Turn Truck Avg 2250. Worst full week 1900 mi but it paid w/ bonuses $700+ best week 3250. This is full week w/ a reset every weekend.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.