Miles Cut

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Bristol, Jun 25, 2012.

1. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    Just wondering why run a regional board when your still staying out 4-5 weeks ? I did southeast regional back in the mid 90's but they had us home by Sat pm (at the latest) for the weekend

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Paul, for me it is because I got sick of the N/E and all of the people in it. I won't run team so I very seldom saw the west coast (where I actually enjoy running). Being on a dedicated account I seldom have to worry about parking (my day is usually over by 2-3pm and I am either parked at a truckstop or backed into a customer with great food options all around.

Hell, I am making nearly the same amount I made OTR most weeks, and not working nearly as hard.

Wildblackyonder Thanks this.
  4. shadow8800

shadow8800 Bobtail Member

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    He wanted to hang to the south cause he doesn't like the cold weather, he gets achy old bones lol obviously it wasn't worth it cause the miles here in texas are dismal right now...but says at this point OTR is where were headed. He did tell them he would run out of region if they wanted him to. So I just told him if he was gonna tell them that then why not just go OTR and he just said "that's true" lol
    He called today so hopefully they can get us switched without too much hassle. Be safe

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  5. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    I'm otr do a lot of south...

6. paul_4lp

paul_4lp Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Fort Myers, FL
    I'm in Texas now ....headed to ATL...

yup Lonewolf ....I know you got a deal , good for u...

just couldn't see doing regional unless the "runs" would go by the house (some)

7. shadow8800

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Curious....How long do you think it should take to get switched back to OTR since the request has now been made?

Sitting in Waco after dropping a Tractor Supply load, called FM several times today to see if she could get a decent run pre-planned, she promised to get with the planners and get something going to help out, but nothing. We are at 960 mi and wondering what we are not doing right. We are kind, respectful to FM and everyone else there, tell them we appreciate it when they get the miles for us, just don't get it! I am glad things are going well for you guys though for sure...Thanks and stay safe

8. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Fleet changes are done at the end of the month, so you should see it first of next week (I would expect). Sometimes it takes a little more/less time. Also, some FM's are just lazy, they won't get up and move 10 feet to talk to a load planned in order to get a load for you. I actually got off the OTR stuff not because of lack of miles, but because night/weekenders would screw me over in the northeast. My previous FM was great about actually talking to load planners to get miles, and keep me running. My new one, while a nice guy has others on the team that don't really pay attention they just throw loads at you which don't make sence (such as DH 168 miles, to run a 10 mile load while there are loads an hour away from you).

9. shadow8800

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Hey lonewolf that is exactly what is happening, loads that make no sense...today DH 171 mi delivery 43mi really?
    I guess some days I need some cheese with that whine I have going on lol...but sometimes just glad to know that we aren't alone. Thanks for the info on the change over...I hope it goes smoothly.

10. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    I run regional for the same but opposite reasons as LoneWolf. I can't stand driving out side of the North East. It is BORING. If I can take an hour nap wile driving and not worry about hitting a car, house, or bridge and at worse end up in a desert or cornfield then that sucks. Also most of my friends I used to work with/worked for me/work for a friend run the NE so I get to see them even when away from home. We all run the same (reset everyweekend) and often do stuff like camping (PA) hiking (PA,NY) golf, and sometimes just split hotels and hang out lounge around and swim/sit in a hot tub all weekend. If I don't see 5-10 guys/1 girl a week it means my friends are being lazy and not working. I know the good food stops, ski areas that let us park if we but tickets to ski, etc.

every old timer that says trucking "is a lifestyle" no offense but I didn't drink the Kool-aid I have a lifestyle and all trucking is to me is a professional career to pay for said lifestyle . also that means people from Virginia to Ontario get to put up with guys & a gal from northern New England having fun while on the road and supporting their local economy. The fun ones laugh with us others complain etc but I won't work a job I find boring and can't have fun at that's why I drive. That and this is literally the easiest job in the world (dry van).

11. shadow8800

Sep 19, 2012
    Texas
    Looks like Sunday he will be switched to new FM and off to OTR and hopefully better miles! Thanks you guys for the help

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.