Millis chat room

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Sully72, Feb 20, 2011.

1. TURBO AL

TURBO AL Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Morganton, NC
    same as you cartersville.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. twistedsmoke

twistedsmoke Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2013
    Clarksville, Tn
    Ash ok. Good deal. I was beginning to think I was going to be in class by myself. See ya there bud!

4. stevenneill

stevenneill Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Weatherford, Texas 76086
    Being in class by yourself is not a bad thing. I asked Harold...on average How much time does a student get behind the wheel. His answer? In a full class...on averave...6-8 hours. I got almost 40 as a single student.

5. TURBO AL

TURBO AL Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Morganton, NC
    might just be the two of us. more road time wouldn't be bad thing

6. TURBO AL

TURBO AL Bobtail Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Morganton, NC
    Steveneill question When did you take your stuff needed for your own truck. did you take it with you to school or when. how does it all work?

7. twistedsmoke

Nov 23, 2013
    Clarksville, Tn
    Very true.

8. twistedsmoke

Nov 23, 2013
    Clarksville, Tn
    I thought it would have been more than that.

9. stevenneill

stevenneill Medium Load Member

Nov 11, 2013
    Weatherford, Texas 76086
    There are a lot of factors. For me...I live 45 minutes from the Burleson terminal. All I brought was the paperwork, clothes and money. I graduated on the 20th but I dont leave with a trainer until Jan. 1st so I didnt bring anything for the truck. My trainer contacted me after the first week and told me what to bring. I have it packed and ready now. You need your cdl permit, either a birth certificate or a SSN card, a Rand McNally commercial atlas a flashlight and gloves. You will be in a hotel. You need money to eat on for 3 weeks and clothes. Your situation might be different. If you dont have an opportunity to go home before leaving with a trainer

10. cadman1989

cadman1989 Light Load Member

May 8, 2009
    Trenton, OH
    It's truly a matter of playing it by ear. If you are new to trucking , you may want to get used to the idea of "change being normal". Based on how quickly things change in this business, the best laid plans are often changed. If you plan on leaving the terminal/school right out with a trainer, you should pack what you need, but never more than you can comfortably sleep with in a bunk bed. I highly recommend duffle bags. I always told my students bring clothes and money because that's all theres room for! You may be able to adjust that when you leave out with your trainer, but travel as light as possible. 1 week worth of clothes (which is like 3 outfits for an OTR driver), toiletries, flashlight, gloves, atlas, blanket, pillow and a change of shoes/boots. Like stevenneil said be prepared to go nearly 1.5 months with out a paycheck, 3 weeks in school, and IF you leave immediately with a trainer it could be 2 weeks until you get your first pay, which is pro rated based on how many days u drive with ur trainer, that will all be explained in class. Sometimes a trainer will be ready immediately, sometimes there is a shortage of trainers, sometimes there is just no freight to get to the areas to get the student (no offense, but there is no priority in picking up students, they are not going to run a truck out of route very far to pick u up). Ive had students who have had to wait 2 weeks until I was able to get them. If ur trainer is cool, there will be room for u and ur stuff and some room for food. I had a microwave and toaster oven in my truck and was able to make enough room in the fridge for two of us, although some trainers are a-holes, lol. Good luck, travel light!

TURBO AL, Rotorzilla and Solo_Seat Thank this.
  11. playamwj12

playamwj12 Heavy Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.