Millis OTR journal

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by Steelersjunkie, May 15, 2017.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My shifter is on the steering column. I could make it longer and extend it out the passenger side window. :laughing-guffaw:

TruckChicken and BazookaJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BazookaJoe

BazookaJoe Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2018
    Heck extend it to the sleeper :)

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  4. Farmer54

Farmer54 Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Thinking
    Thinking a liltle more about this. @MACK E-6
    I'll be honest, I miss miss my clutch when I'm docking. There is nothing that can replace the feather of your left foot. I am so careful backing now with the auto,,, very light input to the throttle but yet, this sob wants to lurch and make me look like a newbie.
    Gotta say, I wish I was young enough to be a flat bedder again. Loved hauling steel and odd shaped loads that had to be tarped.

MACK E-6 and Suspect Zero Thank this.
  5. Gremlin304

Gremlin304 Road Train Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Parkersburg, WV
    I agree with this. I have grown to like my auto until I have to back up somewhere. I really don't like having to give it throttle when in reverse.

Anybody remember the Super 10s? I learned how to drive with one of those back in the 90s when I got my CDL the first time. Back then I used to say that it wast he closest thing you could get to an automatic in a semi. Little did I know how things would turn out later.

Farmer54 Thanks this.
  6. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thankfully the one I have has some feature called “urge to move” which simulates feathering and engaging a clutch by just letting off the brakes.

7. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    I don't know if this means anything at all, and I am hesitant to say anything on a post these days. So typically I won't. I feel like my truck struggles in reverse only when I'm fresh off the highway. It feels jumpy then, and only then. I've been told that it's because the tranny is hot. I have better luck in my 16 than the 15 I had at Millis. I've been told by Kenworth mechanics that the tranny and programming for it have improved quite a bit. I don't slam into trailers anymore but I know for a fact that is the result of the 5th wheel I have and the lubricant I use. It's a gentle click now instead of a hard slam. Same with docking. There is a sweet spot in my pedal that allows for gentle docking. No hard slams. I'd be hard pressed to not believe the mechanics when they tell me it's a different animal than my 15. So far my experience corroborates what they're telling me.

8. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I know my last student got put in a 19 and said the backing and such with the pedal is so much better than it was in my 17. He struggled in my 17 trying to feather, but the 19 said he has no issues.

Suspect Zero and Steelersjunkie Thank this.
  9. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I remember in the Millis 2015 I had there was a switch on the dash that would effect the clutch brake. Cannot remember what the advertised purpose of the switch was. Another driver showed me that if you activated that it would allow for smoother throttle inputs when backing. It worked.

My current job uses auto Freightliner Cascadia day cabs and I've driven 2015, 2016 and 2018 versions of those. Backing in them has always been fine. Smooth, non jerky at all. They pretty much suck otherwise. The T680 is far superior in every other way IMO.

Suspect Zero and Steelersjunkie Thank this.
  10. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    Those new Fliners are super pretty though. Man that's a sexy looking truck. Same with the new Volvos. Although Volvo is going to be hurting now, and that's a crying shame. Their main powerplants are Cummins. The Cummins recall is going to hurt them bigtime. It'll be interesting to see if Cat gets back in the game. They'd be stupid to not take advantage of the void that just opened up.

11. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Yeah I like the new front end styling of them. I am currently assigned a 2018. I'm sure that a properly optioned OTR Freightliner would be much nicer than the stripped day cab I now drive. The day cab is loud and pretty rough riding. I'm sure some of the ride is because of a shorter wheelbase.

Steelersjunkie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.