Millis Training School

Discussion in 'Millis' started by Don Future Trucker, Jun 5, 2015.

1. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    Normal...you can contact Alice...if you need a contact...

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I'll give it some more time before I try to reach Alice or anyone else. Thanks.

4. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    U can post them here and try to get them answered, there is no one really at the schools you can contact, its just the instructor there, other than that its terminal people. I know when i went through didn't have a bunch of questions but really the 3 recruiters they had were about the only person and it was all email.

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  5. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Thanks.

It was a recruiter I was communicating with. I just sent her a follow up email asking if she received my other email. She said she didn't so I'm not sure what happened. The email went through on my end just like the hundreds if not thousands of other emails I have ever sent. Maybe she overlooked it or somewhere some snafu happened. Either way i will post my questions here. Probably better to get it from a driver's perspective anyway. I am just going to cut and paste from my original email to her. Here goes.....

• What is the enrollment process and cost to me? I understand the majority of the cost is covered if I am successfully employed for a period of time.
    • When does pay start? - At orientation, after successful completion of the driver training school, or when you go out with a trainer?
    • What is the training pay amount?
    • Hometime - I see the hometime guarantee on your web site and understand that. I have a couple additional questions about hometime.
      • For example, if I wanted to take a little extra time off for vacation beyond what I have earned, can I do that? I understand it would be unpaid since it would extend beyond what I've earned.
      • Also, can I take hometime anywhere Millis operates (assuming a load is in that area) or must I return to my home terminal area?
    • What is the success rate at the training school? The graduation rate where drivers move onto driving?
    • Is my trainer likely to be from my home terminal area?
    • Since I live in New York, would I return home from whatever state I trained in to take my CDL licensing and road tests in NY? I have heard of some companies having you test out wherever their school is then you have to transfer your license back to your home state.

6. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Update -

The recruiter has responded with answers for all of my questions. She was unsure about my home time question and said it was dispatcher specific. If anyone has any feedback on that I would appreciate that info.

SHOJim Thanks this.
  7. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I used to keep a car at Richfield Wi, always easy to get to a terminal...after 4 months brough car home no issues with getting home etc...We have lots of loads to NY

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  8. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I live 7-8 miles from the Weedsport, NY terminal. If I got on with Millis I would probably leave my car there when out or have my wife pick me up when home. Would rather just leave the truck at a terminal / yard and not have to worry about where it's parked

9. db2681

db2681 Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2011
    Dayton,OH
    Staying home for an extra day or what not is dispatcher and freight specific. Soemtimes you can get extra time sometimes you cant. As far as taking hometime at a different terminal. Yes you can as long as you give your dispatcher plenty of heads up about it or so it was with marco and jim powell when i had them as dispatchers.

JOHNQPUBLIC Thanks this.
  10. JOHNQPUBLIC

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    From your experience, do they follow through on the hometime promise spelled out on their web site?

11. CaptainDaveG

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi
    I have been there a year..Never Never have an issue getting hometime and MORE as promised...I do have a very good dispatcher, but again just tell him what you need and I would say 99% of the time he will make it happen. Your dispatcher cares and doesnt want you in a truck driving when you need to be home..

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.