Millis Transfer CDL academy

Discussion in 'Millis' started by crc9211, Apr 24, 2014.

1. crc9211

crc9211 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    Hello, I'm new to the forum, and new to driving trucks. In fact, I have zero CDL experience, but I've decided that I would like to try this out. I've been doing lots of research online about all the different avenues I can take to get my class A CDL, and the most efficient one I can seem to find is one that the company will sponsor. The best option I've found so far is a company called Millis Transfer. It's appealing to me not only because of the company "sponsored" school, but they primarily run on the east half of the country. I'm looking for any advice on what to expect, and what I need to do from here. I spoke with a recruiter for a few minutes, and she explained the payment, and commitment obligation and the consequences if the obligation is broken. It seems the also have a rider policy, and this is great because my wife wants to ride with me sometime. This company has great reviews for company sponsored school, and as a company in general. And, they have a school/terminal in Cartersville, which is only an hour from where I live in GA. Everything I have been researching seems great about Millis, and trying to get opinions from people that have, or do work for them, and who have gone through their CDL school. Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sapamil

sapamil Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Middletown Ohio
    Millis is a great com. to start with I went through there Trenton ohio school over 2 yrs ago still with the com, and yes we travel mostly eastern half of U S and the rider program you have to have 90days accident free and there is a small fee of 81.00 a yr or 19.80 a month if ur wife is going be with you allot paying yearly is your best deal

LucasH85 and Ga Dawg141 Thank this.
  4. crc9211

crc9211 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    Thanks for the info sapamil. What's the primary customer or freight you carry for Millis?

5. sapamil

Feb 7, 2012
    Middletown Ohio
    our main customer base is Beer and paper but we do haul allot of other freight as well

6. sogaboy51

sogaboy51 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Lenox, GA
    I am in the Cartersville school right now and just ended week two of the program. It is a great training program and company to be associated with. The Cartersville trainers are professionals who know the industry. They will teach you the basics and safe way to drive. I have been doing a day by day recap of my training on this forum.

Ga Dawg141 Thanks this.
  7. crc9211

crc9211 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    Thanks sogaboy51, I'll go check it out.

8. crc9211

crc9211 Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Douglasville, GA
    I have a few more questions about Millis... Is lodging included in the tuition? I live close enough to drive, but far enough to where lodging would be convenient if it was available at no extra cost... Also, can anyone speak for acceptable driving record? I have 5 1/2 years since I was first licensed, through two different states. I have one at fault accident, one following too closely citation, and one not at fault accident, all of which are over three years old. I also have one speeding ticket for 12 mph over, but that was almost two years ago. That sums up my driving record; no DUI or fatal accidents, etc... What is considered a reasonable employment history? I work as a 911 dispatcher and have for the past 6 months, before that I worked at Pizza Hut for almost two years, but before that I had a 7 month gap in employment. Lastly, does Millis Transfer accept credit card as payment for the first $500.00 for tuition, or does it need to be cash?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  9. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    They will take credit card for $500 up front. You can call Black River Falls and pay. The hotel is included in tuition.
    Not sure about drivers record requirements.

10. SHOJim

SHOJim Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    Also smile pretty for the in-cab cameras ........

11. sapamil

Feb 7, 2012
    Middletown Ohio
    not all the trucks have them {yet} I keep smileing but no pictures

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.