Millis Transfer Experience

Discussion in 'Millis' started by SESteve83, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Well, it took me a minute to find this thread, but I'm in. Glad to see you made a decision and acted.

And yeah, Wisconsin has some monster deer, I see them by the dozens up around Mellen which is one of my regular stops.

Good luck and keep us posted.

SESteve83, Scooter Jones and Farmer54 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Farmer54

Farmer54 Heavy Load Member

May 23, 2012
    West Bend, WI USA
    Funny you mention the deer. I'm just outside Kewaskum, go to the local store every morning for coffee and yes, there are some big boys out there. There's a pair I watch every morning about 0615.

SESteve83 Thanks this.
  4. SESteve83

SESteve83 Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Granite Falls, NC
    Week 3 of school started today and the group that went to Wisconsin was back on the range doing backing. We started with the straight-line which everyone had no trouble and quickly got into offset backing which was a little more challenging especially blind side. I struggled with it but came around and think I'm a lot better than I was at the beginning of the day. It's one of those things that takes tons of practice and is never truly mastered I guess.

After lunch we started on parallel parking which oddly I found much easier than the offset. It's weird I hit all but one of my parallels on the first shot. I jokingly told the instructor I just turned the wheel and prayed. I think all of the backing just comes down to practice and learning what the trailer is going to do with a turn of the wheel.

Tomorrow morning after we practice pre-trip we are going to start on the 90 degree back. One thing I suggest people bring with them to school is chapstick. Your lips will dry out on the range. Well, I'm off to decide whats for dinner and get ready to relax some. Take Care

5. Broke Down 69

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    How long does school last? How long with a trainer after?

6. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    School is 3 weeks then 15,000 miles with a trainer, so actual time it takes will vary.

stumptown Thanks this.
  7. SESteve83

Mar 22, 2012
    Granite Falls, NC
    Today was more backing with the 90 added in to the ones we did yesterday. I got stuck in the regional truck which turns quicker which messed with me a little in getting setup for my backs which is probably the most important part of the back. I would like to say I did well today but I really struggled and got quite frustrated. I'm in the room now and just going to drain my mind and hit it fresh tomorrow and put today behind me. I'm just glad I don't have to test out on Friday like the rest of the guys. I may go back to the range with my roommate and help him practice the pre-trip. Take Care

FalconsFan21, Ooops and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  8. Broke Down 69

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Dude, you're going to have days like that out here too. Some days you'll amaze yourself and other days you couldn't hit water if you fell off a boat. Relax...happens to everyone.

9. SESteve83

Mar 22, 2012
    Granite Falls, NC
    Today was more backing practice. We parked the regional truck and took turns between the 4 of us with the two school trucks. Today was a much better day and I think I'm way more confident this afternoon than I was yesterday afternoon. I may get out and look and pull up more than others but I make sure I don't hit any cones which is what the instructor told me to focus on since I am not testing for CDL. Getting it in on the first try is simply an ego thing. In the real world all that matters is you get in the hole without hitting anything. I'm off to talk to the wife and kids and find some dinner. Take Care

winkydude, Broke Down 69 and Ooops Thank this.
  10. SESteve83

Mar 22, 2012
    Granite Falls, NC
    IT'S FINALLY OVER! Or really just beginning. However you look at it the school part of my career at Millis Transfer is done. We have two days of orientation and then we are off with trainers. I already have a CDL so I don't have to go for testing tomorrow so I am home now until Sunday evening. We spent the day at a truckstop letting the guys testing tomorrow get some practice backing on pavement instead of the gravel of the yard at school. It was quite the boring day for me to say the least.

I have already talked to my trainer on the phone and I think we are looking at him picking me up April 2nd or 3rd. I am ready for it and want to knock it out as quick as possible and hope I learn as much as I can for my own truck. While I'm home this weekend I need to check on this spot to park my truck. It would be ideal just not sure how much I will have to fork out to park there if they even let me. Fingers crossed. Take Care and I will update when I'm back in Eden for orientation Monday and Tuesday.

11. SESteve83

Mar 22, 2012
    Granite Falls, NC
    I plan on adding some pictures to this blog in the future just to give some color to these walls of text. The only problem is while I'm on the road being able to access the forum. I can get on the internet on my phone but its so small it makes navigation for me a nightmare. I could upgrade my phone but right now I don't want to spend that extra money on a non-necessity. I have a laptop I would like to use but unsure about wi-fi availability at truck stops. I have heard of wi-fi hotspots you can buy but I'm kind of technologically behind the times.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. I did a forum and google search but it still sounds like a foreign language to me.

Ooops and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.