Millis Transfer training school

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Steelersjunkie, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Steelersjunkie

Steelersjunkie Road Train Member

May 26, 2016
    I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum, but here goes....I am starting at Millis on July 5th. My experience with them so far has been very good. I chose them for several reasons. Every new driver has different reasons for choosing their first company, every company and driver situation is unique. Your reasons for choosing your first company will probably be different than mine. I have acquired my CDL permit and medical card. I am finalizing arrangements for bank account auto-pay, and all of the miscellaneous details that go with being away from home for extended periods. Fair warning to anyone thinking that you can just change your job and go on the road. You'll need to plan ahead. My insurance will change, for one. No biggie for now. My bank account will be altered, so that my wife can access it. Prescriptions will change and have to be ordered in advance, including contacts. Pet care, miscellaneous emergencies that might pop up, etc. There is a lot of planning that goes into this, make sure you are actually ready for it when you go. I am so excited for this change, but it's a scary jump. Yesterday I experienced a lot of "lasts". Last time I have to unload a lumber truck, last time I have to move my tools (they are sold, new owner has to move them), last time I feel like life is familiar and I am in control of it. I am confident that this is a good move. I have heard nothing but good things about Millis. I will update this post when I get to school. If you are looking at Millis I will say this. Everyone I spoke to so far is amazing, but Peggi is the person I have had the most interaction with. I would ask for her if you are interested in Millis. She used to be a driver and she is very knowledgeable and patient with questions. That is just based on my personal experience, I'm sure that anyone there would treat you as well as she treated me. Updates will follow in a couple weeks when I get to school.

Rollr4872, MarkH129, treelife and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bubblehead69

Bubblehead69 Bobtail Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks for posting. I visited them in Cartersville, Ga. yesterday and spoke with their director of training. He was very welcoming and it was quite informative. Keep us posted on how training and over the road goes. I may apply at this company in the fall. You are correct about getting things in order before you make the jump. I need to make a list, soon. Good luck in July.

4. firemedic2816

firemedic2816 Road Train Member

May 14, 2016
    Walton Kentucky
    Actually Peggy STILL Drives occasionally however NOT for Millis, she has a brother in law who owns a couple rigs she runs every once in a while...But Millis is an AWESOME company wish I could have hung on

5. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    Here goes, first day. Waiting to get picked up and head to class. I suspect today will just be an orientation/paperwork day. I will report this evening.

6. Bubblehead69

Apr 14, 2016
    Atlanta, Ga
    Good Luck. Keep us posted. Pics of the Hotel inside and out if you can. I hope to go there in the Fall.

7. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    It's pretty much what I thought it would be, just paperwork today. The instructor here is Bill, he's a really nice guy. Very funny too. Normally at this school they schedule 6 students per class. Two of our classmates rescheduled for another class, and one simply didn't show up. So, that leaves 3 of us. That definitely made me happy, the instruction will be much more individualized. There is more classroom time coming tomorrow, but we will get some wheel time in the lot on Thursday. We're staying at a Days Inn about 30 minutes from school. Plenty of food options around us, but I chose to go to Walmart for my meals. Eating fast food every meal will kill your budget and beat up your body pretty fast. We were given the keys to the van we were picked up in to use to travel back and forth to the hotel, and go shopping if needed. The hotel isn't great, to be sure, but it's serviceable enough. There is a fridge and a microwave, and a small flat-screen TV. I do have a roommate, nice dude, we get along pretty well. I will post again tomorrow. Need to jump off and do some required reading for class. Talk to y'all tomorrow.

8. InfinitiG35

InfinitiG35 Bobtail Member

Feb 14, 2016
    keep us updated, im very interested in millis as well.

9. Bubblehead69

Apr 14, 2016
    Atlanta, Ga
    Thanks for the update. I think one of their trainers is an ex-submariner. He should have some good stories for you. Ask him about exploding toilets.

10. Steelersjunkie

May 26, 2016
    Day two. More classroom time. Today we spent time going over creating paper logs and hours of service laws. Millis uses the Qualcomm system, but they want us to know how to do paper logs in case our unit goes down. We then did map reading exercises and towards the end of class we touched on trip planning. Our class time is about 40% over. Tomorrow, we will be getting in trucks and driving on the practice course. I believe that our instructor is trying to break up the monotony of the classroom, which we are all welcoming. Had a little bit of homework pertaining to route planning. Just finished that. Well, that's it for today, I'll check back in tomorrow.

DRAGON64 Thanks this.
  11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Good luck with school. From what I've heard as long as you pay attention to what Bill says you will be fine. Hes a good instructor. Any questions feel free to ask. I graduated Millis training last Sept been in my own truck since Oct. No complaints at all

Rollr4872, treelife, DRAGON64 and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.