MINI SPLIT SYSTEM INSTALL

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by harold6091, Jul 25, 2021.

1. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Johns Creek, GA.
    Following this with interest.

I have a new Pioneer ultra high efficiency mini split still in the boxes it came in. I have not had the uninterrupted time to complete the install. With a second new truck coming, I'll have to at least get the first one done at some point this fall.

The friend that got me on this has this model on a 780 Volvo for 2 years now if I recall. He's running his straight off an inverter, no generator. He claims to make it through a 10 hour break and still start the truck, using some sketchy old wet cell batteries. One improvement he is planning last we talked about it was having a custom tarp/cover made to fit the outside unit to protect against salt spray in the winter when it's not in use.

I'm hauling a reefer, so I got my jump start right there if it comes down to it. I'm planning to try it that way at first. If I have start problems, I'd be inclined to install a couple more batteries and a load switch rv style versus a diesel apu. I fought that battle some years with a really old TriPac and done with those.

One thing different, I chose to make my own outside rack out of 304 stainless. That part I got done, just need to drill some holes in it when it's time to mount. So this post is not entirely without content LOL. First picture is a mock-up, imagine the ground is the back of the cab. The feet on the bottom of the legs will bolt underneath with the leg socket just peeking out enough to clear, the upper piece straight to the back of the cab. Second picture is the upper corner detail showing how the legs fit. It's 1" thick wall sliding into 1-1/4" thick wall. There will be a bolt through it to secure it. I decided not to weld in place to make it easier to remove if I decide to do that at some point.

HVAC-frame-1.jpg HVAC-frame-4.jpg

loudtom, Tug Toy and lilillill Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Man, that looks GOOD, stainless welding can be a real pita

RedForeman Thanks this.
  4. harold6091

harold6091 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    2 screws into the plastic and thats it. it doesnt weight that much

Attached Files:

86scotty Thanks this.
  5. harold6091

harold6091 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2018
    nice. you should do it asap. diesel its getting very expe sive. also you can add more batteries. AGM or DEEP CYCLE marine batteries and a bigger alternator

loudtom and RedForeman Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted